Back Up Camera

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Back Up Camera

Post by RedStage »

Anyone put in a back up camera in their Baja?
Wife really wants to put one in ours and I am debating which to get.
RedStage
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Back Up Camera

Post by RedStage »

Ok, I bit the bullet and got a YADA backup camera.
Yada BT54860-50 Black Back Up Camera with 5" Dash Monitor. Got mine off eBay for $107 shipped. They can get up to $135 or so on Amazon from what I saw.

http://www.amazon.com/Yada-BT54860-50-B ... B00VIBI0PW

Install was fairly straight forward.

Encountered two headaches here, 1 was a stripped out torx bolt head when removing the plastic bed liner on the tailgate. The second came when I broke that stupid plastic cover that hides the two 10mm bolts that hold the taillights in place...second time I've broken that one...

- disassemble the inside of the tailgate so that you can run the wiring of the camera to power.
I chose to run power to the passenger side as that is the way the wiring loom ran. Once you get the tailgate bed liner off there is a metal cover you need to remove. Once that is out of the way you will see why I chose to run the wiring the way I did.

- remove passenger taillight. Tap into the positive and negative wires of your reverse light so that the backup camera will get power when you are in reverse.

- BEFORE you reassemble, plug in the monitor and test everything. If you like what you see, you are good to go.

- Put the taillight and tailgate back together

- Figure where you want to mount your monitor

took only about 45 minutes to install. Did not take pictures, it was fairly straight forward.