2006 Baja shooting codes - Help

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

DoubleD
Scoobytruck Contributer

2006 Baja shooting codes - Help

Post by DoubleD »

2005 Automatic Turbo Baja
As far as I know its all stock - muffler fell off due to pipe rot so I just welded a piece of straight pipe out the back

About a month ago, right after starting it the check engine light came on
The codes

P2093 and P2089 "A" camshaft Position Actuator Control Circuit High Bank 2 and Bank 1 (respectfully)

I reset the codes and all was well

On a recent trip back from Cambridge MA the check engine light comes on (just hit CT) and the car goes into limp mode and its downshifting really hard. I quickly pulled over to the shoulder. The car would hardly move. - Just wanting to get home I clear the codes with out looking at what they were.

That seemed to work for a bit but it came back (just outside Hartford CT) . This time I checked the codes.

P0638 Throttle Actuator Control Range/Performance Bank 1

I cleared the code and continued on my way but I took it easy.Kept it under 65 and didn't throttle up to pass the slow people in the middle lanes. I finally got home. I googled and asked about P0638 and I see things like replace throttle body, replace turbo, and spray the gas pedal.

Since spraying the pedal with a electronic cleaning spray was simple I tried that.

Today on my way to work the check engine light comes back and i notice the cruise control light is blinking (didn't notice it in the past incidents it could have been I just didn't notice it).

I get the code reader out and I see P0011 and P0021 "A" Camshaft Position - Timing Over-Advanced on System Performance Bank 1 and Bank 2 (respectfully).

OK something's up but where do I start troubleshooting ?

Recommendations
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: 2006 Baja shooting codes - Help

Post by dorelse »

My son's WRX threw that code right after the bearings fell out of the main timing sprocket on the motor.
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

For P2093 and P2089, if the muffler fell off due to corrosion, it's possible there's corrosion building up around the ground wires and/or connectors (http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthr ... ?t=1052467).

P0638... I didn't know the later years came with drive-by-wire throttle systems...? My 2003 has a cable-actuated throttle and a throttle position sensor, so it doesn't have a throttle actuator... I believe, anyway. Could be corrosion around the connector or grounds.

P0011... also didn't know the Bajas had variable valve timing... thought they could just adjust ignition timing...
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

Mine has been at the dealer for almost 2 weeks now with the P0011 and P0021 codes. they've pulled the motor and have the heads off to inspect for oil flow issues. Still no official word other than the service manager saying they "think" they found a blockage, but that's what they said the first week and the car had Pending codes by the time I got to the first stoplight.

dealerhsip claims cam sprockets, OCVs sensors, all relevant wiring and computer are checked out and passsed