New BAJA saying hi

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

New BAJA saying hi

Post by w.rohr »

I just got my Baja a month ago (just got the plates!) and wanted to say hello. I will post some pics later but she is a red 2003 5speed with 120k, I already put on close to 6k in a month driving in the mountains!

I have upgraded the radio to an android with GPS and have added in a cupholder in the dash from a outback and plastidiped the pieces to all match. Next upgrades are color led dash conversion, backup cam, heated mirror/seats, led footwell lights. If you have any intrest in any of those let me know and I can help or make a guide. I am planning on making a new interior disassembly guide and was planning on just taking the text from the old one and adding pics unless anyone objects.

I am having a problem with hesitation in the 2k-3k range and know this is a common symptome with about a dozen possible problems, so if anyone has advice feel free to contact me before I just start throwing parts at it. Also, if someone knows a good soobie mechanic in colorado, south Denver area especially someone who has done lifting let me know. I would like to add 3-4 inches but I am not skilled enough to be sure I would do it well.

Cheers!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: New BAJA saying hi

Post by bajaguy »

Welcome! It's good to have another DIY guy among us. There are write-ups on all that stuff already, but it's always nice to have a second reference.
dalerich
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dalerich »

Hi and welcome. I would like to know more about how you did the plasti dip. How did you prep the parts and some finished pictures would be great.
2005 Baja Sport
dorelse
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by dorelse »

Nice! I'm sitting in a hotel after a 7 hour drive waiting to pick up my '03 Red/Silver w/99k miles in the morning. I went with the AT as I don't want the 5-speed during the AM commut. I'll start my own intro thread soon.

Curious to see what you've done....
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Wow... 120k and 99k miles? Where did you find such (comparatively) low mileage Bajas? I've got over 342k km (212k miles) on my '03. Looking forward to seeing pics!
And welcome!
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

Congrats on the find! Welcome to the community!
Mike
w.rohr
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by w.rohr »

Mine came from Wyoming but there are a few for sale in Colorado with 100k-150k guess we don't drive much around here.

As far as the plasti-dip I did zero prep on my pieces other then cleaning grime off. If you are experienced at spray painting plastic through that out the door, spray rubber is totally different. It seems the most important trick is to spray super light for the first few passes and keep your spray area super clean, if a dog hair gets on a wet surface you can either live with the hair or pull the whole surface up.

Once I remember what my imgur logon is I will post some pics.