Newbie with a Rust question

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

jet200
Scoobytruck Lurker

Newbie with a Rust question

Post by jet200 »

We found a super-clean, one-owner 2005 turbo with 70k miles that we're considering to buy as our first Baja. Car drives great, super clean overall, but underneath, there's rust / corrosion on the subframe, exhaust, diff bolts etc. Connecticut car, so no doubt from salted winter roads. I've attached pics and was wondering if this is normal for these cars. There's no rust in the wheel wells or doors etc, just the corrosion as you can see in pics.

Thanks for your replies!

A
IMG_6869.JPG
IMG_6869.JPG (1.76 MiB) Viewed 3301 times
IMG_6870.JPG
IMG_6870.JPG (2.16 MiB) Viewed 3301 times
IMG_6868.JPG
IMG_6868.JPG (1.99 MiB) Viewed 3301 times
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Newbie with a Rust question

Post by anarchy1024 »

There doesn't appear to be any undercoating/rust-proofing at all... that could also mean water got inside the frame, and it's possible it's being rusted from the inside. I'm no rust expert (I actually have my own problems I need to address), but it looks bad enough to justify getting a professional opinion from someone local. All of those pictures appear to be from the rear; how does the front and center look?
Rsmith8126
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Rsmith8126 »

Clean the best you can and spray OSPHO on it let it set for a few days and do it again then spray undercoating should do it you can bus ospho from Amazon Ronnie
kamesama980
Scoobytruck Master

Post by kamesama980 »

That's nothing. Looks like a 2 year old car in Chicago, no joke. There are many products out there to help but there's no permanent fix or perfect prevention. If you want a rust-free car, get a new one, not 10+ years old.

That's absolutely coated, if it weren't it'd be covered 100% in rust like some of the brackets. No there isn't a huge amount of coating though. The rust is mostly at joints, edges, and holes which is normal.
-Russell
"You don't get to judge me for how I fix what you break"
03 sport 5mt
05 turbo 5mt vf39 and other STI bits, 3" turbo-back