Possible Baja Turbo purchase questions for the pros!

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

devilzdriver
Scoobytruck Lurker

Possible Baja Turbo purchase questions for the pros!

Post by devilzdriver »

So I went to check out a 2004 Subaru Baja Turbo I had some questions....

First the car has about 101k on it and the owner does not know if the TB (timing belt) has been done. I have owned many turbo Subarus, and this looks like the same engine as my FXT am I correct? Some of the big questions when it comes to the engine is.... Do these come with AVCS? Is the up-pipe catted? It looks like it but i'm not 100%. Do they have the Banjo Bolts with screens? I know they are a problem with FXT's and LGT's is this an issue with the Bajas? The muffler was cut off (god knows why) is there any axel backs that are a direct fit? Or exhaust in general, just from eye balling it, the exhaust looks similar to WRX's the 02-03's I assume a wagon would be the "best" fit but I also assume it would need to be lengthened?

Second... The transmission pan seems to be seeping. I am not familiar with the "sport shift" auto transmissions, and was wondering do they need the special Subaru ATF-HP. Or can it use DEX3? It shifted fine, and did not seem to have trouble doing tight turns so tells me the center diff is good. I couldn't really see, but do these also have external transmission filters? How "reliable" are these transmissions? 4EAT's are quite durable but... I know you guys would know best!

Third.... Car is lifted with what looks like CNC spacers like Subtle Solutions? Suspension felt very firm and no clunks and squeaks, any thing that is "common" to look for on the Baja's in terms of suspension? I know with 4th Gen Legacys the rear struts are more common to wearing out, do these have the same issues?

Lastly the price! Its a 2004 Baja Turbo with 101k, lifted, All terrains with good meat, brakes had tons of meat left, primitive skidplates front to back, only leak I could find was the Transmission pan, and what also looked like something near the turbo, I had a similar issue with my FXT and it turned out to be nothing major. I noticed "moisture" near the front of the turbo (turbo inlet/ near up-pipe). Felt great, Leather was good, pass through hole gasket was solid, moon roof worked, has the bed extender. Guy wants 8500 and seems firm on that price. I know the timing belt will be roughly 600ish dollars, and resealing the pan nothing just the time. Is that a fair price? I know Baja's are similar to the FXT world, where price is kinda all over the place.

Also any other places I need to look? Things I need to check.... I rely on the pros here since the Baja is in a world of its own. Thanks guys!
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Possible Baja Turbo purchase questions for the pros!

Post by bajaguy »

I have a NA, but the turbos do have banjo bolts with screens. Common problem. Some even rip the screen out for peace of mind. The timing belt is pretty easy to do (I believe it is almost the same for the turbo), cost me like $160 for the parts and took an afternoon. They are interference engines, so it should be done. I believe the exhaust is a different length than anything else out there, but don't quote me.

Subtle solutions is a common option found for lifting, there isn't too much available for more height than that (and it requires other mods to be reliable). Good skid plate.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Possible Baja Turbo purchase questions for the pros!

Post by Acro2pilot »

Exhaust is a different length and routing than other models but some things work fine, for example the Invidia downpipe fits just fine as do 04 STi headers and up-pipe and those are the complex bits, the rest is just picking a muffler and going to any competent exhaust shop to get the rest fabed up. Trying to modify a WRX or wagon exhaust to fit will just be more expensive and troublesome than getting a custom one made. I can't recall if it had a cat in the up pipe, I ditched the stock headers and up-pipe for an 04 STi compatible stainless header and catless up-pipe. My Invidia clears without having to remove the corner brace, you may have to remove yours, no big deal. Lastly, if you have any notion of additional suspension changes do all that before the exhaust, the routing changes as lift changes.

My struts at 160k were fine, but BC makes GREAT coil overs and will do custom lengths, springs, and valving and are WAY better than stock.

You can definitely lift it more than the Subtle solutions, I am at 5.5in now and can dial in another inch on my coil overs. A basic 4 inch kit from SJR needs no other major mods. Click on the link in my signature to see how the lift works, I also have some info on the exhaust as well.

Yes, exact same engine as the FXT and easily upgraded to STi or better power, yes it has the banjo bolt and it takes 15 min to correct the screen issue.

Trans has an external oil filter that looks very similar to the engine filter, and an internal filter. Pan gasket is super easy to do when changing tranny fluid. I used a high quality synthetic, should you need to know I can check my log and see what I used.

I have a 4EAT with 160k and it has tolerated dyno tuning, double the stock HP, oversize AT tires, and me flooring the damn thing every chance I get, it is a very tough tranny.

Not much to say about suspension it sounds like yours is OK, front axles can fail with the boot being close to the exhaust and it dries, cracks and water gets in. Again, check my thread because I posted the part numbers for aftermarket axles that are far superior to the OEM ones and half the cost as well. If you go to 17in or larger wheels STi brakes are a bolt on item in the front and a pad swap in the rear to EBC red creates a nicely balanced system.

The EGR wet loop buried under the throttle body can dry out and split and it will blow oil everywhere and cause a problem, it is an afternoon job and easily done.

$8500 sounds amazing, in my area they are commanding 10~12k. Rock auto has a quality timing belt kit with all the bearings and seals for $250 and you can do that in an afternoon. http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php ... 79&jsn=385 I would suggest doing the water pump while your in there, cheap insurance.

Overall your going to find it has the same driveline as the FXT and an Outback wagon body with the back being open. Aftermarket parts support is choosing from a mix of STi, Forrester, and other models. You can find about any upgrade part you need even if it isn't specified for the Baja. For example, it isn't supported by Cobb access port but you can ROMraider tune it or drop in an STi ECU. Interior is nicely done, good compartments for storage and comfortable, the stock seats are comfy, heated and very adjustable but STi seats bolt in if you like.