Baja Raptor 2.0

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Baja Raptor 2.0

Post by Acro2pilot »

Started in on the tube bumper, using the OEM bumper beam and fitting the tube structure around it. First step is conforming the top tube to the initial curve of the beam then shaping around to match the fenders.
bmp1.JPG
bmp1.JPG (2.43 MiB) Viewed 13024 times
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Change in plans, after starting on the tube type I decided I just didn't like the way it blended or how much it improved over the stock one, and also it limits the winch options. So I took a look at a Jeep bumper system that is going to easily adapt over to the Baja. http://www.quadratec.com/showcases/smit ... ar_bumper/ I chose the V2 endcaps and the bull bar, I liked the stinger but it would rise pretty far over the hood due to the lower hood profile of the Baja compared to the Jeep. The only mod needed is extending the mounting brackets by about 5 inches. I will post pics when it is arrived.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

I got the adapter built for the bumper and am going to get it coated with bedliner tomorrow then install it. This is the bumper core with the adapter welded in place.
bump1.JPG
bump1.JPG (103.6 KiB) Viewed 12952 times
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Mother $#%@!*

I took my nicely prepared parts to Line-X of Fredericksburg VA to get it bedlined in flat black. After a week of botched deadlines and other failures they dropped the parts off. Some were gray, some black, some tan, and all sloppy. I told them go go pound sand on the bill and they are lucky if I don't go after them for the cost of fixing it. So now on to part 2, taking it to another bedliner shop to strip this crap off and do it right.
bump3.JPG
bump3.JPG (260.16 KiB) Viewed 12888 times
mikeeitup
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikeeitup »

Wow that's crazy! How TF do you mess up that badly? They wanted 700 to coat the floor of my tiny work van. Then quoted me 180 over msrp on a partition. They lost me as a customer this week.
Mike
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Finally DONE! Its on the truck and now I just need to sort out the winch, I want to keep the grill but am going to have to mod it some to fit the winch.

BRATBUMPER2.jpg
BRATBUMPER2.jpg (116.35 KiB) Viewed 12843 times
BRATBUMPER1.jpg
BRATBUMPER1.jpg (139.07 KiB) Viewed 12843 times
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Catching up on procrastinated modifications, finally found time to build baffling to guide air from the scoop to the intercooler. First step was to build a mock up out of cardboard to ensure that it fit, then use those templates to cut the aluminum pieces, assemble with Cleco fasteners, verify fitment, then rivet. Now I have to pull it back off prime and paint it, and install the foam edging.
baffle1.JPG
baffle1.JPG (98.45 KiB) Viewed 12821 times
baffle2.JPG
baffle2.JPG (53.39 KiB) Viewed 12821 times
baffle3.jpg
baffle3.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 12821 times
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

More progress
baffle4.jpg
baffle4.jpg (84.22 KiB) Viewed 12820 times
baffle5.jpg
baffle5.jpg (87.61 KiB) Viewed 12820 times
baffle6.jpg
baffle6.jpg (100.74 KiB) Viewed 12820 times
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

So after calling the project done I get the kick in the rear from a well known issue, I was headed home when I saw a puff of smoke from the scoop, the stupid oil feed line to the turbo cracked and started leaking. A full AN conversion set was available for about $100 and is on the way.
starr-
Scoobytruck Master

Post by starr- »

Thanks for posting pics of your intercooler shroud setup! I'll be try to get that done this summer and this will really help. I cant believe there ended up being so much room between your intercooler and the hood!

Edit: lifted. no wonder that AC line looks so high above the motor. hahaha
I like it here.... [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

If you have a turbo and are still running the hardline that feeds the AVCS and turbo they are known to be failure prone. I never thought much about it, because it wasn't aviation related where we panic over any possible failure but sure as shit mine cracked out where the banjo bolt to the turbo goes, no doubt work hardened over many miles and years. It oil misted the turbo and made a mess but it maintained pressure to the turbo so it didn't fail, a total crack could have cost a turbo. The solution is a replacement of the hardline with AN hardware including flex line. I ordered here: http://www.iagperformance.com/

Pic here:
OIL.JPG
OIL.JPG (814.08 KiB) Viewed 12713 times
patrikman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by patrikman »

Is that hardline figment for Forester XT I assume? I didn't see Baja listed in their menu.
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

Forrester XT and WRX, it is pretty universal.
ebo03
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ebo03 »

Subscribed. Nice work you've done!

Did you figure out anything on the rear Brembos yet? I ask b/c I have a set of Brembos on the way for an 06 Baja. Would it be possible to modify the WRX adapter to work with a Baja? Or maybe swap WRX hubs?
Acro2pilot
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Acro2pilot »

The problem for the rears is that there are suspension bits exactly where the bracket should go. I am going to have to fab up a completely different back plate, probably out of 1/4 steel to clear the suspension. Currently I am running STi OEM pads in the Brembos up front, and EBC REDS in the rear and braking is very balanced.