First time buyer

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

themanro
Scoobytruck Lurker

First time buyer

Post by themanro »

Hey guys, I scooped around and found this forum. I'm considering to join the proud Baja owners club, well and buy one of course. There isn't many of them in Florida, I have found a few in other states and want to ask you guys what should I watch out for when buying one remotely. I'm looking for something with under 80k, stick, non turbo. Again, I have found a few that match this criteria, now how do I go off actually pulling the trigger on one of those? Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
BajaRMX
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: First time buyer

Post by BajaRMX »

First off, as a new Baja owner I can tell you it is one of the most fun vehicles I have ever owned! I have been looking for one for awhile and, like you, my choices were out of town.

My issues were all of the Bajas within reach were being used as off-road vehicles and had high miles. I didn't mind any of that, but when I went to look at them, most had small scratches on the paint that didn't show up in pictures. These scratches came from bushes and trees that lightly scratched the car while they were 4x4'ing it. They completely cover the car! It looked like the car was covered in hair :lol:
Best Adventure Just Arrived
chuckster
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by chuckster »

I am a recent first time Baja buyer myself, near Atlanta. All the ones I could find near me were automatics (I wanted a 5-speed MT) and over priced.
I ended up finding one in Pennsylvania that met my criteria, flew up and drove it back. With so few of them out there you may have to travel to get the one you really want. I see them on ebay and autotrader a lot. Mine was listed on autotrader.
The ones I looked at fell into 2 catagories: owned by suburbanites who never took it off road and still wanted $14k for it or ones that had been rode hard and put up wet but the owner thought it was in mint condition. Just be patient and don't buy the first one you see (unless it's a really good deal).
Good luck with your search.
themanro
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by themanro »

Thanks guys, I found one, out of state as you have mentioned. fairly low miles (~70k), manual. Pictures look good, will see the rest in person when I fly in to sign the papers. Most likely will ship it back instead of driving. Wish me luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

Congrats on getting a Baja! :D
themanro
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by themanro »

Hey guys, I'm looking for a mechanic or someone knowledgeable to check a Baja I'm trying to buy, there is couple that ought my eye, one in Commack, NY, other one is in Salt Lake. I live in FL, i'd come to do the final inspection, but it'd be great if someone can take it by mechanic or just take a closer look at them. Please get in touch with me. I can pay if necessary.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Watch out for rust in new england. Its car cancer.
hallway
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by hallway »

Just make sure that all things are working and maintained well. Also check for any rust and leak. But so far Baja are almost bullet proof.