Baja Shopping

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

minivini
Scoobytruck Lurker

Baja Shopping

Post by minivini »

Time to get another vehicle and this one seems to tick the boxes I need most. So far, I think I want the turbo and probably 05 or 06.

What sorts of common problems should I look for? I'm in upstate SC, but will travel if necessary to get a good one. Recalls I should ask about? Specific services I should be aware of?

Most of what I'm seeing in that year range has between 90,000 and 120,000 miles, so I'm guessing there are major engine services that will need to be done or expected?

Thanks for any input!

Vince
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

At that milage you will be looking at a Timing belt and Water pump at least.....The Turbos have the upgraded head gaskets so that shouldn't be an issue.......
minivini
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Baja Shopping

Post by minivini »

Thank you for that! I'll keep those in mind.
TastyHuman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by TastyHuman »

Based on recent experience, if you are shopping for an automatic then take it for a drive up some decent hills that require a downshift. At a steady state speed check that the downshift from 4th to 3rd happens smoothly. Mine downshifted very hard into 3rd under these circumstances and it was a $3k repair (Dealer wanted $4k).

I'd opt for the stick if I had to buy again.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

When I bought mine I changed all the fluids,did the timing belt , water pump , cam and crank seals , plugs , valve covers.....But being able to do it yourself and not pay someone else helps tremendously.......I have rather large feet and the 5 speed and I just didn't get along very well......
minivini
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by minivini »

Great suggestions! Is the Baja pretty decent to work on as a competent DIY'r? Water pump, belts, plugs, oil, brake pads, et al?
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

I have read from other posters here that the Baja is one of the easiest vehicles out there to do a DIY timing belt replacement on.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Correct.....the only time it is difficult is if you have a Turbo and change the cam seals while you are in there.....It requires a couple specialty tools to remove the cam gears....You could most likely do it without them but it would be easily twice as hard.....