Aftermarket Sound Systems

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

MrCrowley206
Scoobytruck Lurker

Aftermarket Sound Systems

Post by MrCrowley206 »

Has anyone put in any sort of sound system in their Baja's? I took mine to a custom audio place and they basically said there wasn't enough room to do any work that would be worth the money. :?
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Aftermarket Sound Systems

Post by Zombaja »

had a new head unit installed last year, a single DIN that gave me a second storage tray, the new one has no mechanicals and is just to receive bluetooth or plugged in audio sources.

Gonna do the speakers with better replacements, in the original sizes, as soon as the Baja gets out of the shop
MrCrowley206
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MrCrowley206 »

Ya I had speakers in mind but there isnt any room for subs, maybe a 10 under the seat or something.. not a lot of substance in the original equipment.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

The factory subwoofer is ok but not great....kicker makes a powered sub that will fit under the passenger seat if I remember correctly.....I swapped out the factory 6 disc for a 7 inch Kenwood touch screen.
MrCrowley206
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MrCrowley206 »

Ya i kinda like the 6 disc cd changer, ive got sirius satellite radio in the car, i just need a lil more depth in the sound. Its like playing a set of iphone earbuds really loud in here, just not cuttin it.
alpha_numeric44
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by alpha_numeric44 »

I built a box that fits behind the rear seat. I took out the pass thru flappers door (wich weighs about 100lbs!) And made the box bump out into that space.

It fits a dual voice coil 10" sub.

I put the 1000w amp under the passenger seat, but trimmed the foot vents to make it fit.

I'll look for my build thread, hold on.
alpha_numeric44
Scoobytruck Contributer

alpha_numeric44
Scoobytruck Contributer

alpha_numeric44
Scoobytruck Contributer

Basically I made a trapezoid truck box, put it in, traced the opening, stepped it in an inch, cut it out, stood it off with boards, draped some fleece over it and stapled it on, added fiberglass resin, sanded and smoothes with body filler, primed and painted. Then added some threshold strips to make it a bit more durable, and rugged.

Inside air space is roughly 1 cubic foot.

Perfect for the 10. I ran the coils in series and bridged the amp to drop it to 2 ohms.

It hits surprisingly low for a ten.
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

Man, if I had the money I'd do that in a heart beat. Right now I'm just running a flat sub underneath the passenger seat which is lacking the depth and range of a larger sub. I still need to get some new rear speakers put in since right now I'm only running on two fronts and the two tweeters. For some reason those Baja stock speakers always stop working. Mine came with only one working speaker when I drove the car home. (front left)
MrCrowley206
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MrCrowley206 »

Do you run your sound system with the back seats down or up? will the speaker get damaged from running it with the seats up? Any water issues in the back after having it for some time?
MrCrowley206
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MrCrowley206 »

I was on deployment when I posted this forever ago haha just logged back on and this looks very practical. Just curious if you ran into any issues down the road?