New MD Baja Owner! An intro.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Bernardusaurus
Scoobytruck Lurker

New MD Baja Owner! An intro.

Post by Bernardusaurus »

Hey there guys.
Been lurking on here for a few months. I've been wanting a Baja forever and I finally picked mine up today.

I'll post some pics, but first, a little about me. (For anyone who cares about such things..)

-My name is Bernardus.
-I'm 21 years old and I currently live in Maryland.
-I'm newly married to the love of my life, Anna. (10 August, 2014)
-My car history: 2003 Toyota Corolla LE -> 2003 Audi A4 1.8TQ -> 1986 VW GTI -> 2005 Subaru Baja Sport -> My wife is about to get an '04 Infiniti G35 Coupe
I still own all but the Corolla.
-I enjoy playing video games (probably too much if you ask my wife). PC mostly.
-I also love to play drums.

On to the Baja.

Saw this guy on CL for $8000 about an hour away from me. I knew I had to have it.
Went to look at it, and committed to buying it after a short test drive.

I picked it up earlier today and went straight to the MVA.
After being thoroughly ravaged by them (NEVER own a car in Maryland), I got home with my BRAND NEW (to me) Baja.

I have lots of plans for this baby, but the first thing I did was throw a tint on the tail lights. Sorry for the stereotypical blurry night shots.

I obviously have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to taping something off.
I still need to lightly sand it and add some clear coat, but I think it looks pretty awesome so far.

Next, I gave the old toothpaste-on-the-headlights thing a try. Not perfect, but a bunch better.

Before:

After:

Next, I'm gonna take the damn dealer badge off and then clean the everloving jesus out of it so I can start with some fun stuff.
I plan to throw a straight pipe on it just for my ears' pleasure, plastidip the 'sport bars' or whatever they're called, dip the interior, change the dash color, add some subs, and get a new head unit. I also read somewhere that someone wanted to throw Crosstrek wheels on their Baja. I haven't looked into it, but if they fit, why not?

Let me know if you guys have any questions and tell me what you think! I'm excited to be a member of this exclusive group.

-Bernardusaurus
Last edited by Bernardusaurus on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
randy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: New MD Baja Owner! An intro.

Post by randy »

Welcome to the forum. I too just joined last month. I have a crosstrek wheels on my 05baja. No mods required. Bolt it on and your good to go.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

Welcome to the Family
Killer B
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Killer B »

Nice Baja and congrats on getting one! And Crosstrek wheels fit on them, too? That's VERY interesting to know because I love those Crosstrek wheels.
Bernardusaurus
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bernardusaurus »

randy wrote:Welcome to the forum. I too just joined last month. I have a crosstrek wheels on my 05baja. No mods required. Bolt it on and your good to go.
Awesome! Where did you get yours and for how much? If you don't mind my asking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bernardusaurus
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bernardusaurus »

mikenmel08 wrote:Welcome to the Family
Thanks!
Killer B wrote:Nice Baja and congrats on getting one! And Crosstrek wheels fit on them, too? That's VERY interesting to know because I love those Crosstrek wheels.
With no mods on top of that. That's always good to hear.
Bernardusaurus
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bernardusaurus »

So a couple updates on the Baja. Kinda.

Here's what the tint looks like during the day without the plastic:

(Ignore the overspray. Haven't had a chance to clean it up.)

Looked okay from afar, but up close, there are drip marks since like an idiot, I sprayed them outside the first time. Hence the overspray.

Decided to pop the lights off and take them inside.

I tried to get the tailgate lights off too, but I couldn't figure it out and I didn't want to break something. There are two bolts on the back of them, but it wouldn't pop out still, so I'll have to figure something else out for them.

I live in an apartment, so I don't have a garage or a proper place to paint. Here's where I ended up setting up shop:

The spare bathroom. Hopefully I don't kill myself or my wife. I only have one respirator..

In any case, I sanded the lenses a bit and then added another coat of tint, and they turned out a lot better.

That was yesterday. Today I'm clear coating the lenses that pop out and I'll have to use a friend's garage or something for the tailgate lenses.

Also, looked online for Crosstrek wheels and they're all around $200 a pop. So that'll have to wait for a bit.
randy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by randy »

Bernardusaurus wrote:
randy wrote:Welcome to the forum. I too just joined last month. I have a crosstrek wheels on my 05baja. No mods required. Bolt it on and your good to go.
Awesome! Where did you get yours and for how much? If you don't mind my asking.

I got mine from my local Craigslist for 550. Tire and wheel only had 4images on them.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
randy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by randy »

BBoley24
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BBoley24 »

Finally a picture of the Baja with those rims!!! Im sold.