Simple green and about 15 minute engine bay clean.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Simple green and about 15 minute engine bay clean.

Post by Rizzo »

I finally bought some Simple green.

I used the foam setting to let it sit on some really bad spots, like the reservoir bottle of different fluids, the battery and the front timing cover.

Then after a few minutes of waiting, I switched to the spray pattern and wet the whole engine bay down from all 3 sides.

More waiting.

No scrubbing later I am happy with the results.

Before.. Note the battery, brake fluid and PS fluid reservoirs....

Now the after...

:D

Now I didn't just go right at this.

When I bought the car I removed both battery cables. Then I unplugged every connector and applied some dielectric grease to them. Then I did the spark plug wires at both ends when I replaced them.

Took me an hour to get them all. This will ensure no water caused corrosion or shorts and the like. I'd advise you to do the same.

Rinsing : I do not advise a pressure washer, I used a wand that will mix soap and water together. This wand has a small opening at the end and increased the water pressure from a garden hose. I also blasted my radiator too, getting rid of the build up between the fins and bugs off the front.

When I was done, I stared the truck, then turned on the A/C and this caused both fans to kick on. This helped dry the belts (Which being wet will squeak) to dry off faster and helped blow some of the water off. An actual drive would have been better but I was facing the sun and the wind was pretty high today.

A clean engine bay will help you spot leaks sooner. Removal of built up crud will help heat escape thru aluminum parts like the Alternator and such. It's also a matter of pride too.
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Simple green and about 15 minute engine bay clean.

Post by Hawk296 »

Looks great!

Have you found a way to remove that A/C compressor clutch residue? I have that all over mine as well and I can't find any easy spray on and rinse off solution.
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Rizzo »

Since it's actual metal dust, I would suspect there isn't going to be a Spray on and Rinse of solution....

EXCEPT!

IronX.

Google that.

I used it to remove the rust tear runs from my fog light opening. And I removed plant dust from my entire Crown Victoria.

It's not cheap but it does work.
Zombaja
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zombaja »

ain't that stuff great?

discovered it when trying to restore an early 80's japanese motorcycle. Couldn't get it running to get it hot enough for my old favorite engine cleaner to work.
mark40
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mark40 »

I had forgotten about Simple Green till reading this thread. Just treated the engine bay as advised and it looks great; solid tip- running the AC with both fans going it helped it to dry up nicely. thanks for sharing
Rizzo
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Rizzo »

[smilie=coolup.gif] [smilie=666.gif]