Do Timing Belts need changed in Subaru's?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

river baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Do Timing Belts need changed in Subaru's?

Post by river baja »

Hey Y'all,

I just bought a 2006 Baja with about 98K miles on it. Should I do preventive maintenance and change the timing belt?
This is my first post and I am a newbie.
Are timing belts an issue with Baja's?
River Baja
2006 Sport
Atlantic Blue Pearl
Dk. Gray Leather

no mods yet
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Do Timing Belts need changed in Subaru's?

Post by bulwnkl »

I wouldn't describe them as "an issue" in the sense that the term means "problem" these days. They are a routine maintenance item, though. Replacement interval is 105k miles, and the risk of not ever replacing the belt is that if it breaks you'll bend valves and face a costly repair.

When replacing the timing belt, replace the idler pulleys and the water pump, too. Again, a failure of one of these other items will shortly break the timing belt (it'll wear through because of the seized/non-rotating pulley).

This is also a great time to check the front crank seal and front cam seals. If they're leaking or even weeping, you've got things far enough apart that it's relatively quick and easy to take care of those leaks at the same time.
river baja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by river baja »

Thanks bulwnki.
Probably I could never do this myself but now I know what to tell the mechanic.
River Baja
2006 Sport
Atlantic Blue Pearl
Dk. Gray Leather

no mods yet
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

You're welcome! If this is something you'll be having a mechanic do (that's perfectly fine, of course), be aware that it is a somewhat expensive service, at least at many shops. I do my own maintenance and repairs unless I just don't have the space or tools needed (ex-farmer; used to working on anything and everything), so for me it was the cost of parts plus a little exasperation and maybe a scuffed knuckle or two. :)

Shop around for a mechanic/shop you trust, and that will treat you fairly.
Bratso
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Bratso »

Some people may gasp but I go to Express Oil for all my maintenance. They have performed all the major work that my 170 k Baja has needed including timing belt, clutch replacement, and just recently wheel bearings. I drive by two other Express Oil shops to go to this one though so I can't say if they are all good. I can say I found a good one with good mechanics that have been around a long time.
MarkWinegar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MarkWinegar »

I bought my 03' with 120k and didn't know the history of it. Didn't know if the timing belt had ever been replaced and therefore, I always had a bad feeling about it. Now with 130k, I decided that it's time to replace it along with the tensioner, pulleys and water pump at the Subaru dealership I work at. Apparently the belt had been changed before, but whoever did it, tightened one of the guides down too tight and it was rubbing. It was so close to snapping :shock: . All better now. :D
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (236.07 KiB) Viewed 7818 times
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Yikes!
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

I just had it done on mine and it was about $500 all said and done. I picked up the Gates kit with the water pump for about $200 from Rock Auto, and a local forum sponsor put it all in for $300.
groundeffect44
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by groundeffect44 »

Its the easiest timing belt job i have ever done. The timing kit was awesome And the belt had the timing marks on the belt was the best one for each cam and one for the crank.
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Does the motor have to be dropped or pulled to change it? I would like to do it myself but I don't have those resources. I just hit 99k so I figure I should do it soon. But I'll have another 3k+ before I get home for the summer.
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

No it does not have to be removed....If I remember correctly your is a NA engine.....One of the easiest there is to do a timing belt on....If I'm wrong and it's a Turbo is still simple but you will need a couple specialty tools for the job......
bajaguy
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajaguy »

Yep, NA. Cool thanks. I will be doing that soon.