Pics from a multi Baja trip.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Pics from a multi Baja trip.

Post by hocrest »

Last week I met up with a friend who has a Baja on our way to the Annual SVX/XT6 meet at the Dragon in western North Carolina.
Here are some of the Baja related pics from the trip. If you want to see the SVX's and XT's as well, you can browse the album.

Me and "Subeman90" met up near Johnson City and made our way across some back roads on the way to the Dragon.

A few shots at the Dragon and around Fontana Village.

From Fontana we headed the whole way across NC to Kitty Hawk in the OB of NC.

Can anyone guess the reason for this impromptu roadside mod to the lights?

Then up above Corolla NC where the beaches are drive-able.

mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Pics from a multi Baja trip.

Post by mikenmel08 »

I live about an hour from the dragon, wish I would have known. I would have met you guys.:mrgreen:
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

how did you mount you cb antenna by the back window???? My long antenna is on my roof and i wanna move it back
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

bajamudd wrote:how did you mount you cb antenna by the back window???? My long antenna is on my roof and i wanna move it back
I made a bracket that bolts in place of one of the top trim screws. I'll get you some pics this weekend.
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

Oh ok, pics would be great! thank you! Was it pretty simple?
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

hocrest wrote:
bajamudd wrote:how did you mount you cb antenna by the back window???? My long antenna is on my roof and i wanna move it back
I made a bracket that bolts in place of one of the top trim screws. I'll get you some pics this weekend.
I originally made the bracket when we were getting ready for the "48 hours of Tri-State" meet back in January. Since I thought it was only going to be on for a week or two, it just got a real quick paint job. I didn't think she would want to keep the CB mounted all the time. She likes having it there so the bracket stayed. I did take this opportunity to take it off and clean/repaint.

Here is a close up of the bracket mounted.

Here is the bracket removed. When looking for a scrap of metal to make the plate to stick the magnet, I found that the retaining washer from a subaru flex plate was the perfect size. The bar is just a piece of weldable steel picked up from the hardware store. I used a piece of copper wire to approximate the bends that I wanted.

To mount it to the roof, I welded a short piece of square tube to a washer and then welded that to the bar. The washer is bolted tight to the roof with a cap nut, the square tube is welded to it and the bracket to the tube. Another option if you don't weld is to use a stack of washers and a longer bolt and have the bolt hold the strap to the roof.
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

Awesome! thank you, I will be making my own pretty soon, because I like the look of that as well as the placement.