Goodbye to my 2003 Baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

OkeefenokeeJoe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Goodbye to my 2003 Baja

Post by OkeefenokeeJoe »

Well .... I did it. I traded my beautiful 2003 Baja.

It was not my intention, but after almost 10 years of ownership and 175,000 miles, the motor recently began sporadically running hot. I took it to a repair shop and was told that that the head gasket was NOT blown, and a compression and block test indicated the head and block were NOT cracked. Nevertheless, I replaced the radiator cap with a new one, flushed the cooling system, and added new coolant. However, it still would run hot in stop and go traffic. Last week the top radiator hose exploded and the entire batch of new coolant spewed all over the motor. That was the first time the Baja left me stranded. I replaced the radiator hose and eventually got the Baja back home. It was then I noticed a slow oil leak from the rear of the motor. That was when I threw in the towel. Sorry, but I have to have reliable transportation and I was getting afraid to take the Baja out on the road. I would have rather had the Baja repaired, but the local Subaru dealer, Chatham Parkway Subaru in Savannah, staffs their Subaru service department with complete imbeciles. Their service department is a frikkin' joke, and there is no one else in town I trust. Long story short, I traded the Baja this past weekend for a new Nissan Frontier.

To say I miss my Baja is an understatement. Usually there is some degree of jubilation after the purchase of a new vehicle. Not so here. I guess I'm in mourning. Hopefully, Subaru will introduce a Baja replacement in the not-too-distant future, and I will be back in the game. In the meantime, I will be sporting around in a Lava Red 2012 Frontier. Basic transportation, but no personality, and no charm. I'll still be frequenting this forum, so it's not goodbye. Subaru is in my blood and the Baja has a special place in my heart.

By the way .... I will be posting some Baja items for sale in the next day or two. About four months ago I purchased a complete set of Brembo OEM replacement rotors and a complete set of Akebono ceramic brake pads. I never installed them and I still have them new, in the box. I will sell these for a steal of a price. I also have a new-in-the-box under the seat Subaru amplifier/subwoofer that I purchased about 4 years ago, with the intention of installing, but a cancer diagnosis put everything on hold and I was never able to get to that project. The only other things I have to sell are a Subaru bed extender, two Subaru oil filters, and a few crusher washers for the oil drain plug. Be looking for these items to appear in the For Sale department, but PM me if you are interested and want to jump to the head of the line.

In the meantime, I'll be Baja-less in Savannah. I really envy you guys!

OkeefenokeeJoe
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Goodbye to my 2003 Baja

Post by mikenmel08 »

Pm sent
OkeefenokeeJoe
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Goodbye to my 2003 Baja

Post by OkeefenokeeJoe »

PM replied!

OkeefenokeeJoe