STI-ing my baja

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

STI-ing my baja

Post by bajamudd »

Does anybody have an estimate of how much it would cost (roughly) to take my 03 N/A and sti it? Meaning turbo it, put in an intercooler, replace/add anything else needed for better pefromance?

Also, would I need to have my valves rebuilt to withstand the turbo?

Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: STI-ing my baja

Post by Buck Rogers »

I would guess about 3k. That is assuming a good used turbo motor, including the harness and ECU, could be even more. I don't believe you can use your original motor, as the N/A block is not really designed to be boosted. There will be a lot of things to be swapped (intake , exhaust) for example. It would be completely do-able though, and if you made it a sleeper (keep the same hood and use a front mounted inter cooler) it could be fun to drive.
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

Honestly I would more likely cost as much as the car is worth. That engine would likely only hold single digit boost numbers, even intercooled. Everyone I've known that has turbo'd a non turbo Subaru has ended up removing the kits because they caused so many headaches. Turbo engines aren't particularly cheap, and that's before you figure out the wiring. You'd either need to merge the turbo engine's harness to your Baja harness, or find and swap a whole turbo Baja harness, neither of which sounds like anything resembling fun. There is a lot involved that it doesn't sound like you have even thought about, so I'd recommend you spend some time in the swap/conversion forum over on Nasioc.
bulldozer24
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bulldozer24 »

i would not recommend turbocharging a na engine, you wouldn't be able to run more than 5 psi of boost without upgrading the fuel system. timing would be need to be adjusted, and for a front mount i would highly recommend against because they create major turbo lag on subaru's running stock boost levels. If you want a turbod baja i would recommend buying a new car or buying a wrecked one from a junk yard then you will have all the bits you need.
bajamudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajamudd »

I did some research and homework on this whole idea, and an n/a engine can only take 8 psi turbo, so i'd have very little performance enhancement from it. But like suggested i can buy a turbo engine and found a wrecked baja turbo ( rear end crash, had to be totalled because it wasn't worth reparing it.) so the engine is fine, but the engine has 120K on it and would cost 2,300. And as to the harnesses, it would take a lot of work to use my stock harness and it would be just as hard for a new one. Soo, I think I will hold off on this project until I have some more money put aside and or maybe just buy another baja turbo. Thanks for all of the help!
mikenmel08
Scoobytruck Master

Post by mikenmel08 »

The blocks internals are completely different. They are designed with different combustion specs for turbo and non turbo.
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

I like ! [smilie=666.gif]