Trying to buy a used Baja...help.

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

thebigkahuna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Trying to buy a used Baja...help.

Post by thebigkahuna »

Hi all. Well, I may be hitting my head against a brick wall trying to get a dealer to part with a used Baja! I have been looking for one for half a year. Many Baja's I've been looking at are still listed 6 months later! Most of the Baja's I'm looking at are 04's with under 10,000 miles listed for just around 19,995. Here is a reply I got from one dealer, note the spelling and bad grammar.<br><br>hi sonny thanks for interest in our baja the truck is in our inventort with  as you know low milage its like new their asking 19995.00 i,am thinking we,ll be  able to do a little betterplease callme for more details at 610 353-6900 ex 28  thanks again bob massaro <br><br>My reply, "Dear Bob, the asking price is too high. I'm betting<br>you paid mid 14's to mid 15's for the Baja. They are<br>real slow movers. I am a serious buyer and would<br>purchase at 17,000. Please keep my E-mail address for<br>the future when it becomes obvious that the Baja won't<br>get a sniff at the 19's. Thanks again,<br>Sonny "<br><br>Their reply back to me, "HI SONNY, MY NAME IS JIM CAVIL USED CAR MANGER AT RAFFERTY  <br> WANTED TO THANK YOU FOR YOUR OFFER BUT I HAVE TO PASS AT THIS TIME <br> IF YOU CAN FIND A 04 BAA WITH 5000 MILES THAT IS STILL ON MANUFACTURE CO I BE GLAD TO BUY AS MANY AS YOU CAN FIND AND GLADLY PAY YOU A $1000 PROFIT FOR EACH ONE. PLEASE STAY IN TOUCH.  " <br>Can anybody make any sense of this reply? Am I expecting too much? Sigh... the dream lives on. :)<br>
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Re: Trying to buy a used Baja...help.

Post by mbaksic »

Sounds like he figures that the Baja will sell used, and he aims to make big bucks on each one. And if you find one he can buy very cheap, he will pay you $1,000.00 for it. Anyway, thats how I make it out. I think he may have had a liquid lunch before writing that to you though.  ;D  Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

LOL, that's pretty funny.  It's better than the nasty one I got from one of the dealers!  I guess we got lucky with ours, having a trade helped though I think (gave them a way to take $$  off the asking price).  Keep looking, they're out there!  I paid about 19 total for mine with the 100,000 mile warantee and financing.  
cyphergirl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cyphergirl »

The used ones on Auto Trader seem to be moving typically around the 17's to 18's, depending on year and mileage.  Since the new ones are so much higher priced than the '03's, I can see why.  Would I pay 19 for a used one?  Heck no.... but then I paid that for my new '03!!<br><br>Try Auto Trader.   ;D
thebigkahuna
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by thebigkahuna »

Well, after months of frustration getting nowhere on a used Baja, I have decided to buy new. In the end I think I'm better off doing this. There is just not enough incentive pricewise to buy used. I have my eyes set on an 05 black Baja sport. Hopefully I'll be able to post as a new owner by the end of March! :)