Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

Post by Skemcin »

Hello all,

I'd like to open with a bit of a disclaimer. Naturally, I love Subarus and love the one I have (02 OBS). There is a bit of a story behind how I have arrived here but I'll save (and reference) that a little later. I also spoke to Eric about posting this, so I do have his approval.

So, the purpose of this post is to gauge interest in a multi-purpose light bar for the Baja. I originally built one for my Impreza and when I documented the progress, I got a lot of support and interest from the Impreza Offroad/Rally Community. That lead me to making and selling 10 more. A Baja owner in Northeast Pennsylvania found and tracked down the project and a couple days ago asked for a bar for his truck.

If you are familiar with the concept of economies of scale, you know that I can't really produce just one bar - at an affordable price. So, this post is aimed to gauge interest in a bar similar to the one described and pictured below.

Product Details:
  • 4130 Chro-moly Tubing (all around)
    • 1.25" .083 wall
    • 1" .083 wall
  • 100% Tig welded
  • Oil pan and radiator protection
  • Core support / reinforcement
  • 8 Mounting locations to frame and sub-frame
  • 8 Light mounting positions
  • All hardware included
  • Skid plate tabs included
Weight:
Light bar: 22 lbs
Skid Plate: 11 lbs

Options:
  • Removable front tow hook
  • Removable 1/8" aluminum skid plate available
  • Powder Coat finish
  • Winch Mount
Customizations:
Available upon request and subject to additional charges based on time and materials

Pictures:

Build Photos:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1016151332 ... aruBajaBar

Customer Vehicles
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 199&type=3

FinalCost:
Current build information
##### MAKE DEPOSIT HERE #####

##### SUBMIT OPTIONS HERE #####

When you have send your desposit, please send me a PM with your paypal e-mail address so I can put one and one together.

Please provide any feedback, questions, concerns, interest. I've got a Baja lined up for fitment next weekend. Any reply is appreciated.

Thank you.

NOTE:
Lights and winch are not included.
Last edited by Skemcin on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:12 pm, edited 36 times in total.
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by jaxed »

So is this expected to be bolt on?

I'm interested.

There are a lot of people on this forum that come around every-so-often, so I'd just hang tight for a bit and I wager the interest will be there.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

jaxed wrote:So is this expected to be bolt on?

I'm interested.

There are a lot of people on this forum that come around every-so-often, so I'd just hang tight for a bit and I wager the interest will be there.
Correct.

With the Impreza we use 4 of the factory frame bolts, supply two bolts that go into OEM threaded holes in the front/center jack plate, and then supply nuts and bolts for two more factory holes in the front corners of the sub-frame. The sub-frame is made up of two welded pieces of stamped metal (hollow) where the bottom piece has a hole but the top does not. So, the that hole is used as a guide to drill (3/8 if I remember correctly) through the top. So yes - everything (for the Impreza) is bolt on and doesn't require any cutting or modifications.

Until we look at the Baja, we won't know how much different that will be. The only obstacle we ran into for the 02-07 chassis was the different bumper cover the 06 and 07 had - more pointed and sitting lower. Since the Baja was basically pre-built, I don't think there are any bumper changes from one year to the next. However, to make this project really pay off for me, I will have to test compatibility with other Legacy chassis - i.e. the sedan and outback wagon. Not to say its a deal breaker, just something I have to gauge/test fit.

In any respect, I do hope there is some interest. And I don't mean that just from a start up business perspective because I'm not likely to make much at all, but out of the genuine satisfaction that folks finally have a solution to a question that has been asked over and over again.

My fingers are crossed...
:D
spazomatic
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by spazomatic »

I have an '06 baja, and I'm interested. looks like a quality piece! how much to buy one?
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

spazomatic wrote:I have an '06 baja, and I'm interested. looks like a quality piece! how much to buy one?
Thank you for the reply and the interest.

Unfortunately, I can't give much of an indication as to the cost. I have access to a Baja next weekend so until then I have no idea how much different the underpinnings are from the only Subaru we've done (the Impreza). I suspect there will be more material involved but I don't know how much. We haven't set the retail price for the Impreza bar yet as we are just coming off that product launch but its hovering just over $500.

We had a couple guys up at Sno*Drift this past weekend and here is what just one of them had to say,
01-31-2012, 07:56 PM wrote:"Not on purpose but I tested it [the Gorilla Bar] while running into a ditch at Sno Drift this saturday, wanted to turn around overshot and ran straight into a ditch burying my front end so deep you couldn't see the tires. After a pickup pulled me out not a damn thing was broken or anything ... this thing is TOUGH"
So the quality and functionality is definitely what this bar is all about.

If we can meet the target price, I know you'll get much more than you pay for.
Last edited by Skemcin on Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

I got approval to post the following link:
http://www.dirtyimpreza.com/forums/show ... hp?t=23268

This will give you a complete history on the original light bar project. Plenty of input, feedback, pictures, etc. as I documented a lot of the questions and decisions we made during the build. I suspect this will answer a lot of questions that might surface here.

Let me know if there is more information you'd like to know. I'd really like to see this build happen - again - I've got a vehicle at my disposal next Saturday so the more interest we drum up, the better chance there is to getting this done sooner, rather than later.

I look forward to any and all of your feedback.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

I'm definitely interested (bar & skid plate) I have an 05 that I have installed a 2" body lift on, this would be a perfect addition

Buck
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

I'm interested for sure. Do you have any type of ballpark price? They look great by the way!
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Buck Rogers wrote:I'm definitely interested (bar & skid plate) I have an 05 that I have installed a 2" body lift on, this would be a perfect addition
Nice. Thanks for the reply/interest. Given the description of your rig, this really would complete the look/feel - no bias!
:-)
Thacrudd wrote:I'm interested for sure. Do you have any type of ballpark price? They look great by the way!
Can you let me know your year - just so I can track it above. As for price, I've mentioned before that I can only go off where I was/am with the Impreza. It, of course, is a smaller car so I suspect the Baja will need a little more material - but then again, once we look underneath it, we might find sufficient mounting points in the front. However, if it to remain consistent with the work done on the Impreza, the bar (and optional skid plate) would have to extend back of the engine to just behind the front axle line. That could be $10 of material or $50 - I just can't say anything without seeing it.

@ALL
I don't mind taking the hit on time and material to figure this out - worst case scenario I lotto the prototype and cut my losses if the end product just simply isn't affordable - remember, there is shipping too. I am really trying to be as up front about every aspect of the build so there are no surprises - if I can pull of a $500 powder coated bar we still might be looking at $100+ shipping (unless a road trip is in order). Of course, the target is much less - but there is much to see before I can put a number on anything.

I don't want to scare anyone away but I also don't want go through all the effort and have nowhere to go with 5 or 10 bars.

I will have a clearer picture after this weekend when I have the time to go over this with my partners. If we continue to gain interest and our commitments are strong, then I will stick to my plan for Feb 11 - the day I have a Baja available. By then end of that weekend, we could very well be moving forward with collecting deposits and scheduling production.

So Pm, Im, e-mail, Tweet, Facebook, etc. do what you can get more Baja owners aware of this thread so they can decide if they are interested.

Post a local craigslist add similar to what I've done here:
http://chicago.craigslist.org/wcl/pts/2829041126.html

:D

Comments/Questions/Concerns are always welcome.
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Mine is a 2005 model. Keep us updated on the progress and what you decide. The reason I was asking for a ballpark price is basically this - I have no idea what these would normally run. I can't spend more than $200 ish (excluding shipping). If you feel it would be more than that, then I just can't afford it anytime soon. Nothing wrong with it being more, I'm just giving a heads up that I wouldn't be able buy one :-(
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Thacrudd wrote:Mine is a 2005 model. Keep us updated on the progress and what you decide. The reason I was asking for a ballpark price is basically this - I have no idea what these would normally run. I can't spend more than $200 ish (excluding shipping). If you feel it would be more than that, then I just can't afford it anytime soon. Nothing wrong with it being more, I'm just giving a heads up that I wouldn't be able buy one :-(
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I know it will be more than $200. Mind you, I"m talking completely finished - powder coating for something like this is almost $100 alone. I don't want to say you are out of the running but if you have access to someone who can paint/coat it or if you want to do it yourself, that might put you back in the race.

I appreciate the information and stating where you're at right now. Situation noted but before all is said and done, it might be a month before things ship - you still have time to break out the spandex and leotard to earn a little extra cash!!
Thacrudd
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Thacrudd »

Skemcin wrote:
Thacrudd wrote:Mine is a 2005 model. Keep us updated on the progress and what you decide. The reason I was asking for a ballpark price is basically this - I have no idea what these would normally run. I can't spend more than $200 ish (excluding shipping). If you feel it would be more than that, then I just can't afford it anytime soon. Nothing wrong with it being more, I'm just giving a heads up that I wouldn't be able buy one :-(
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately, I know it will be more than $200. Mind you, I"m talking completely finished - powder coating for something like this is almost $100 alone. I don't want to say you are out of the running but if you have access to someone who can paint/coat it or if you want to do it yourself, that might put you back in the race.

I appreciate the information and stating where you're at right now. Situation noted but before all is said and done, it might be a month before things ship - you still have time to break out the spandex and leotard to earn a little extra cash!!
I'll definitely keep that in mind as painting it myself is very possible. Also, have you contacted a moderator over at the NASIOC baja board if you can post about this there? I'm always seeing threads asking about these.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Thacrudd wrote:
Skemcin wrote:

I'll definitely keep that in mind as painting it myself is very possible. Also, have you contacted a moderator over at the NASIOC baja board if you can post about this there? I'm always seeing threads asking about these.
Sounds good.

And yes - I make sure I contact admin/mods before I post this stuff - as I did here. They are pretty strict (and I understand/respect that). I'm a vendor at DirtyImpreza and I'm very happy there. Eric is nice enough to let me post here - I noticed reference to this post on NASIOC already so I don't want to push it. But yeah, I always seek the blessing of the admins - I'm not trying to fool anyone - that's just how I do things.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

### UPDATE ###

Post by Skemcin »

Well it was a long day in the shop working on the top mounted cold air intake and the Gorilla Bar for the 08+ Impreza.

We talked about the Baja Project and crunched numbers and this is what can do at this time....

If, by 11:59pm on Thursday, February 9th we take 5 deposits of $250 each on the bar described and pictured above modified for the Baja we can move forward with the project. Here are some of the estimation we are making:
a.) the final bar will be ~$450 powder coated with up to 8 light tabs to pick/arrange
b.) the estimated completion/ship date would be the end of March (need time to get material, fit, jig, build, powder coat, and prepare for shipping)
c.) the winch is a $100 option but you must use a Superwinch UTV4000 (its under rated, actual rating is 5,500 lbs)
d.) shipping can range from $125 to $175 depending on where you live respective to Chicago, IL

Please note, we can fit three(3) bars in one box and still be under the weight limit for the sized package. That means, shipping could be a little as $50 if a three of you are in a close enough drive to share the shipping. Of course, if you live within a couple hours of Chicago, pick up is always an option.

Here is the finished, powder coated Gorilla Bar w/ the winch option.
(HELLA lights and Superwinch not included)

I will post a link from which deposits can be made within the next couple of days.

If you have questions, comments, or concerns please feel free to let me know. We mulled this over and this is the only way we can make this work.

Thank you

P.S. If this dies out for whatever reason - we are able to resurrect the project if 5 owners come together in two weeks, two months, or whenever. We are more than willing to revisit this in May or June if it needs a little more time to brew.
Last edited by Skemcin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
hyperjohnny
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by hyperjohnny »

WAYYYYY Cool! I'm definitely interested! Let me know how things are coming and when availability is at hand. I've been working with an engineer @ Aries for the last few weeks to modify one of his existing bull bars to fit my Baja. He has my current dimensions and is working on the basic bar. In turn, I've been working on adapter plates to make the install as "bolt-on" as possible. I also received confirmation from an outfit in Austrailia to make their bar work but the costs are pushing the envelope. Keep me informed!
John