Front plate mount?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Front plate mount?

Post by yellowblaze »

Anyone come up with a better way than SOA?  NY requires a front plate-we're going to try to get away with putting on the dash in the front window-it worked for a few months with our last truck-but if we get hassled, I don't want to just punch a few holes in the bumper & hope that holds the plate!!  What were they thinking  at SOA when they designed that ::) ?!
jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Front plate mount?

Post by jaxed »

[quote author=yellowblaze link=board=gen;num=1104192839;start=0#0 date=12/27/04 at 19:13:59]Anyone come up with a better way than SOA?  NY requires a front plate-we're going to try to get away with putting on the dash in the front window-it worked for a few months with our last truck-but if we get hassled, I don't want to just punch a few holes in the bumper & hope that holds the plate!!  What were they thinking  at SOA when they designed that ::) ?![/quote]<br><br><br>I agree.  There are two holes drilled into the front bumper, and that is all you get for a front plate mount.  Seems like trouble to me.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

I had a aftermarket grille guard on mine when I bought it. It looked bad and the paint was starting to peel on it. :( I talked to the local dealership, and they said the same thing, that there wasn't any bracket for the front plate. I had our parts guy at work get me a bracket for an 03 Outback. It's a cheap black plastic thing that only holds on the the bumper with 2 screws, and 2 screws hold the plate at the top. At least it works, and fits the bumper contour correctly.  8)
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Hmm....I didn't know they made one for the Outback.  Silly, aren't they the same front end?  Why make it an Outback only bracket?  Oh well, it's nice to have such a minor thing be a worry  ;)
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Yes, I got lucky that it fit,  ;DI was told that it was not returnable if it didn't fit.  :oThe good thing in my case is that it covered 2 big holes the previous owner had drilled through the bumper for the grille guard. I just had to eyeball where it would go, as there were no dimples in the cover for where it should go. It works fine, I just wish it supported the whole plate like on domestic cars.
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Mbaksic-<br><br>Can you tell me if there is anything solid behind the plastic bumper? I have been thinking about getting a lightwing from carr to mount my plate and aux lights but screwing one into plastic wont work. There is a steel plate at the back of the bumper but I don't know what is in front of it.<br><br><br>Bob
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

If I remember correctly, there was no metal at all between the bumper cover and reinforcement. The grille guard that was on mine when I bought it was drilled right through the reinforcement, and bolted right through the whole works. Had a couple of large bolts, with nuts and washers holding it together. If someone has a body sheetmetal book, like a body shop, they could tell you for sure. Hope this helps you out.  ;D   Mike
bajabob
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bajabob »

Thanks thats what I needed to know - I'll have to come up with plan B now. The Outback mount idea of yours sounds good. <br><br>Bob
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

All I can say is that it works.  ;D Two screws that hold it to the cover, and 2 screws that hold the plate at the top of the license plate. At least it looks good. I would love to have a bracket that supports the whole plate, but I don't think that Suby makes anything like that.   Mike
Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

I had the same problem for a little while when I was pretty much living in Portland OR. I had the Mudrat Bumper put on and I did not want to put the license plate on the bumper so I just stuck it up in the window. . well 3 days later I got a ticket for that. . So for a little while I just zip tied the plate to the bumper. . . But I am in a Small Town now and the cops don't care . . I don't even have my plate in the window anymore.