Any problems with your Baja????

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Any problems with your Baja????

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kensei wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:58 am @harleyjohn45, there is a thread in the Technical Discussions board that is entitled "Oil Level Reading" or something similar where there is some discussion on the the oil level and dipstick. As I note in that discussion, my level varies widely, even in the few days after a change. I pretty much just put in 4 liters when I change it and if there is oil on the dipstick when checked about 10 minutes after it has been running, I am good. Overnight, the oil level in my pan will rise to a considerable level over the full mark on the stick. My '10 Forester exhibited this same behavior, but my kids mom's '16 Outback never did...
I will read that thread, thank you
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

kensei wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:58 am @harleyjohn45, there is a thread in the Technical Discussions board that is entitled "Oil Level Reading" or something similar where there is some discussion on the the oil level and dipstick. As I note in that discussion, my level varies widely, even in the few days after a change. I pretty much just put in 4 liters when I change it and if there is oil on the dipstick when checked about 10 minutes after it has been running, I am good. Overnight, the oil level in my pan will rise to a considerable level over the full mark on the stick. My '10 Forester exhibited this same behavior, but my kids mom's '16 Outback never did...
I will read that thread, thank you
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

I feel a lot better now, went out and checked the oil this morning after sitting overnight and it was exactly to the same place on the dipstick as 200 miles ago. I will try another dip stick, I know a fellow here who has an identical Subaru.
Now I can go after another problem, I can smell raw fuel in my garage. I will put the vehicle on a lift and chase the fuel line all the way from the tank to the throttle body and see if I can find a problem. There is nothing dripping.
Thanks Kensei
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

Check the filler neck and tubes next to it. Also the fuel lines between the drivers side rocker and fuel tank. I had an Outback that had both problems within a year.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

06Suparu wrote: Tue Apr 21, 2020 2:29 am Check the filler neck and tubes next to it. Also the fuel lines between the drivers side rocker and fuel tank. I had an Outback that had both problems within a year.
What problems did you have with filler neck and fuel lines.
My latest problem was the car would not idle with the a/c on. I cleaned the mass air sensor, put some sea foam in the fuel tank. I wanted to check the throttle position sensor (TPS) but could not find it. The people cleaning their TPS on U tube don't have turbo's. I did reset my ECU, but nothing changed. Fast forward 4 days and today I drove the car to town and it never died once with the A/C on. This vehicle requires the most maintenance of any vehicle I have ever owned.
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

I have had the filler neck and vent tubes rust out and give a constant odor of fuel. I also had the return line rust away. The hole was on the drivers side between the rocker and fuel tank. Ive never owned a turbo, i didnt want the extra headaches.
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

06Suparu wrote: Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:23 am I have had the filler neck and vent tubes rust out and give a constant odor of fuel. I also had the return line rust away. The hole was on the drivers side between the rocker and fuel tank. Ive never owned a turbo, i didnt want the extra headaches.
Thank you, I don't have fuel fumes yet, but I will look in those areas. After driving, I get a whiff of burned oil outside the car. I will be checking that out tomorrow.
I keep telling my self that I'm making progress sorting this thing out.
06Suparu
Scoobytruck Master

Post by 06Suparu »

Thats not burned oil dripping on the exhaust lol..thats oil undercoating [smilie=boggl3y3dummy-ani.gif]
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

harleyjohn45 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:33 pm This vehicle requires the most maintenance of any vehicle I have ever owned.
You know, I don't think I'd call what you've had to do "maintenance". As I recall (I could be wrong here) you bought a Baja that had been "rode hard, and put away wet". I'd consider this more restorative or repair that maintenance. Most of my Asian vehicles have been very trouble free. There were some that I bought with "known issues", and there was a lot that was put into them. For most of my Subarus, It's just been maintenance - and I consider a timing belt, water pump, or once in a hundred thousand miles head gasket job - maintenance. Once you get past the "bumps in the road", I believe you'll enjoy your Baja.
Here's what I see a lot of over on the Isuzu site: Someone thinks they'll pick up a 30 year old vehicle for 500, 1,000, or 1,500 dollars, put a small amount of money into it, and have a trouble free cheap vehicle. RARELY works out that way. Now our Bajas are a good 10 to 15 years newer that most of the 'Zus, but many still have had a lot of use. Mine is at 206K, and other that oil changes, the only real "work" I've had to do to it was re-bush the shifter, and I decided to replace the struts (really a maintenance item), and I upgraded the interior to the cloth seats. I probably do have a cam seal, timing belt, and water pump in my future, but I've been happy with it.
Now the P.O.C. Dodge minivan we bought about 20 years ago. THAT was a "high maintenance vehicle". Dennis
harleyjohn45
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by harleyjohn45 »

ZUBAJA wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 pm
harleyjohn45 wrote: Mon Apr 27, 2020 6:33 pm This vehicle requires the most maintenance of any vehicle I have ever owned.
You know, I don't think I'd call what you've had to do "maintenance". As I recall (I could be wrong here) you bought a Baja that had been "rode hard, and put away wet". I'd consider this more restorative or repair that maintenance. Most of my Asian vehicles have been very trouble free. There were some that I bought with "known issues", and there was a lot that was put into them. For most of my Subarus, It's just been maintenance - and I consider a timing belt, water pump, or once in a hundred thousand miles head gasket job - maintenance. Once you get past the "bumps in the road", I believe you'll enjoy your Baja.
Here's what I see a lot of over on the Isuzu site: Someone thinks they'll pick up a 30 year old vehicle for 500, 1,000, or 1,500 dollars, put a small amount of money into it, and have a trouble free cheap vehicle. RARELY works out that way. Now our Bajas are a good 10 to 15 years newer that most of the 'Zus, but many still have had a lot of use. Mine is at 206K, and other that oil changes, the only real "work" I've had to do to it was re-bush the shifter, and I decided to replace the struts (really a maintenance item), and I upgraded the interior to the cloth seats. I probably do have a cam seal, timing belt, and water pump in my future, but I've been happy with it.
Now the P.O.C. Dodge minivan we bought about 20 years ago. THAT was a "high maintenance vehicle". Dennis
Dennis you may be right, The car is running good right now. The dying at idle with the A/C on appears to have been cured by resetting the ECU. I still have the oil smell when the car has been running for a while. That will have to be looked into. The big problem is when you are working on the car and find a part you need, you have to order it. My helper mechanic is only available on Saturdays for about 4 hours. That worked out pretty well, find a part you need, order it and install it the following Saturday.
206K is a lot of trips to McDonalds. My car has 112k and I only drove my last runabout 60k miles in 15 years. About 4K per year will be my driving. John
Knotwright
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Knotwright »

Bought mine in 2006 new. It had 17 miles on it. N/A MT that I drove for 5 years, regular maintenance items and no problems while I was driving it. I put 120,000 miles on it in that 5 years. I sent my son off to college in it and he drove it until July of this year when he bought a 2020 Forester. I was SOOOO happy to have my truck back. It had 202000 miles on it when he dropped it off.

BUT... I don't think he did any maintenance other than oil changes in the whole time he owned it. I went through and replaced all the suspension items that were worn out. Changed all the fluids. Did a complete brake job, 2 new front rotors. New front Struts. I had to change all the instrument light bulbs, they were all dead. I put new plugs and wires in it. I had to change the shifter bushings, the shifter was ALL over the place!! Replaced the timing belt (Whole ball of wax with water pump etc). Really just maintenance items that build up if not taken care of timely.

The only real problems I have had are the head gasket leak, inner front CV boots and a small leak in the radiator. The head gasket leak looks to be fairly new. My son said it started using oil about a year ago. So I'll get to that soon. I put a new radiator in it and new CV boots were installed after the joints were inspected and found in good shape.

I did do a couple of upgrades when I got it back. I found a complete leather interior from an outback in a salvage yard that was in perfect condition. My seats are now heated and the drivers side has power. I added a MOMO (OEM) leather steering wheel with radio controls. I added the heated mirrors from the Outback and all the wood trim on the doors and dash.

I love this truck and I have since the day I bought it.
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Is the consensus that "For most of my Subarus, It's just been maintenance - or once in a hundred thousand miles head gasket job - maintenance."?

My mechanic strenuously advised against messing with the head gasket unless there are issues. Currently everything is running fine, no major notable leaks, loss of coolant, or any other indicators.
ZUBAJA wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:37 pm
ZUBAJA
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ZUBAJA »

The head gasket issues can show up one of two main ways:
An annoying, but not serious oil drip / leak from an oil passage on the passenger side.
The more serious "blown head gasket" where combustion chamber to water jacket seal is compromised.
I did a standard EJ25 on a Forester using OEM Subaru Gaskets from my local dealer (almost 100.00 each - JUST the head gasket)
I did an EJ25 DOHC (1998 Forester) using the special "Six Star" head gaskets. https://www.smartqualityparts.com/17-head-gaskets
I was very pleased with the outcome on both jobs. It required pulling each engine (although some seem to be able to do it in the car) and I had the SOHC heads completely redone (they had cracks) and the DOHC heads were resurfaced (Clearwater Cylinder Head aka Odessa Cylinder Head - one of the best in the business, and fortunately, local for me)
Dennis
P.S. Baja currently at 216K and being repainted
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Ben Staad »

Understood. I'm not able to do this work myself and my trusted mechanic will not do the work. Probably, and maybe to my determent, will roll the dice and not have this done now.

But I 100% get it. You have 200K miles of proof.
ZUBAJA wrote: Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:36 pm P.S. Baja currently at 216K and being repainted
foxmanb
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by foxmanb »

157k on my 2006 Sport... She just died on me this morning. Everything was running fine, I slowed down for a stop sign, as I was braking the engine got rough, the AT light blinked a few times, and the CEL was flashing, she was missing.... I got most of the way home and she quit about .5 miles from the driveway. Wouldn't start.

CEL's were misfire cylinder 1 and 3.

I had a spare ignition coil/distributor at home. I grabbed that and some tools and went back. I popped off the fuel line and made sure there was fuel flow, and then swapped out the distributor. She started right up. Thank goodness, don't know what I'd do without my trucklet.