Mudding Bajas

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

MNBAJA
Scoobytruck Contributer

Mudding Bajas

Post by MNBAJA »

Is there anyone that hits medium depth mud/water holes? I am curious if anyone has had issues with there electronics and if anyone knows of ways to prevent this?
"A SHIP IN THE HARBOR IS SAFE, BUT THATS NOT WHAT SHIPS ARE MADE FOR"
Emsanon
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Mudding Bajas

Post by Emsanon »

I've only been through the small mudpits offered through the West Coast Subaru Show. Had no issues yet though! I did take mine through a mini flooded road where the water was being pushed up over my hood, it was probably not the smartest thing to do but it looked fun and so my dumb side took over. :twisted:
It handled that great as well...even if it was luck. :lol:
mudrat79
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mudrat79 »

When Mudding any Subaru ....the Electronics will normally handle mud, and light water crossings.....
If you are going to do some major mudding in soupy conditions, here are a few things to look at doing....
First and Formost....your Radiator and AC unit is right in the front...if either or both of these get plugged full of muck...your Ride will not cool properly....so Take the time to pull your front center grillwork off and zip tie a piece of stiff plastic or rubber infront of but off the Ac unit.....You won't want to leave this here all the time, hence the zipties....:) This is for major mudding and water crossings....

Also, in the way of water....Your factory intake Scoop for the air box sits right at the top of the hood line on the passenger side....( turbo's are a bit different...) this needs to be addressed if you are going to do any DEEP water crossing....

I had the Pleasure of using a 2005 Rental Outback To do a trip to the Oregon Coast during a Winter Flood....
I drove over at low tide....When I returned Home, the hwy Was under 4 ft of water.....????? I took an Alternate Route over the Mountains and thru the Woods, but up river the road I took was under 2-3 ft of water.....in some low corners....I drove thru them with no Issues I thought......Forgetting where the Intake snout was....After the 3rd water crossing When I would get on the gas, it acted like it was starving for air....
So I pulled over and popped the airbox open.....It was full of water....Filter had collapsed.....OOps......

So I drove home with no Filter.... :oops:

Other things to think about while Out wheeling....

1.) If you didn't see someone go thru the Hole, you better get out and Test it with a Depth Stick....
2.) Always try to go Wheeling with at least 2 Rides.....More is better up to 5 or so....
3.) If you insist on going Alone, be sure to take plenty of Recovery gear....
4.) Always let someone know where you are going to go play.....

I could continue, but those are the biggies....

Have fun, John in Oregon.
MNBAJA
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by MNBAJA »

Thanks for the tips. I was curious because in 06 I put mine Baja into a flooded ditch and I fried my computer. The fact that the tow truck driver took over a hour and a half to get there was the main culprit but I wanted to know if there was precautions that could be taken. I will have to get to work on mine when I get home.
"A SHIP IN THE HARBOR IS SAFE, BUT THATS NOT WHAT SHIPS ARE MADE FOR"