Rear seat for 3??

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

BAJAMediC
Scoobytruck Contributer

Rear seat for 3??

Post by BAJAMediC »

hey guys, i've been thinking, i want that middle spot on my backseat to be padded..... i need to pull that lil console out and place a pad or something down there, they padded the back rest, just seams silly... im gunna pull apart the console this weekend and run some ideas around my group of friends, but what do u guys think... what padding would b good to just have a strait backseat... ya know... just incase the GF kicks me out and i wanna curl up on a fully padded rear seat??!?
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Rear seat for 3??

Post by Sabber »

I've thought about this as well, especially since I eventually want to put neoprene seat covers into my cruck and it would be a lot easier if I didnt have to work around the console in the back. The two options I have come up with is to either get a new lower part of the seat from an outback or legacy or just remove the center console and get a block of open cell foam from jo-anne or some such fabric store. The foam comes in big sheets with thickness up to 3" and they sell them by the foot so it shouldnt be too expensive, you can also shape it pretty easy with scissors. A new seat would be expensive and would take some time to find a good match, but would be more professional.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

technically speaking for a moment, it cannot be a 3 person backseat unless there is a fixed seat belt with intertia reel for each individual per our lovely federal DOT standards. This would make the flush and plush fold down seat back have certain problems to overcome I am sure, even though that is seemingly not the goal as to why you are looking at doing this.

just saying...not tryin to kybosh the whole idea....I personally use the lil stuff compartment, so I wouldn't go without it.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I've been investigating this myself. Supposedly, according to a few threads at the NASIOC BAJA forum, the Outback Legacy back seat bottom is a direct bolt in. But nobody can tell me how that seatbottom affects the rear switchback. Can it fold open the same as the factory seat for the Baja?

One such thread is here or here
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

I have the outback (and had a Baja) and yes it looks like a direct swap (according to the tape measure) BUT!!!! the Outback seat is not designed to fold up :x So it would seem that the switch back usefullness (and honestly- how useful is the tiny little opening anyway?? I used to haul so much crap in the backseat that it was used rarely as after folding up the seats I had a pile of crap that had to be secured from flying out the switchback) would be hampered- not to mention the above seatbelt issues. I will say this for the Baja- the carseat tethers they built into it are VASTLY superior to anything on the market as far as spacing and usefullness- BUT the outback has FAR better access and finish on it's tether system (and now that they are trying to raise the "Carseat" laws in NYS to 12 years old- looks like I'll be using the tethers for hauling my granddaughter arround for a long time!) If your just wanting a place to crash for the night- well a nice inflatable air mattress tucked behind the rearseat back will suffice (lmao)- or how about one of those ugly pickup bed tents?? (in case the GF tosses you out for good?)- But for real comfort think about the outback- the rears fold down flat and would make a very comfy sleeping surface!
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
BAJAMediC
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BAJAMediC »

ill definatly look into that, its a good idea, im actually sick of hearing my dogs claws coonstantly scratching that little black door, its irritating... i don't need an extra compartment... just a useless option....... thanks for your legwork