Did the Santa Cruz and Maverick beat Subaru to the punch?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Did the Santa Cruz and Maverick beat Subaru to the punch?

Post by Slopchoppy »

What are people thinking about the 2 new vehicles from Ford and Hundai? The Santa Cruz looks pretty sweet but it needs a roof rack. I was hoping Subaru remade the Baja because my ‘06 is getting a lot of miles packed on.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Did the Santa Cruz and Maverick beat Subaru to the punch?

Post by oldpro »

No opinion about the Ford product. I'm a bit disappointed in the latest version of the door treatments of the Santa Cruz. I really liked the first renderings showing full-width front doors and only vestigial doors for the rear seat. Now it's too run-of-the -mill and less "Subaru Quirky." I'm still loving my '05 Baja, and while pushing 84 yo, I find it easy to get into and out of and appreciate its uniqueness.
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ben Staad »

The Ford just looks like any other truck out there. Not grabbing me at all.

The Santa Cruz looks nice with the exception of the rear side windows. I wish they would have kept a straight line. That being said I highly doubt I would be interested in it as it will be packed with tech which I abhor. I don't like touchscreens, digital media, TPS, or warnings for a million things I don't need blinking, beeping, or flashing at me.
oldpro
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by oldpro »

Man; I agree with Ben! Being "old" I'm also "Old-School."
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

It seems like the Santa Cruz isn’t really set up for off road. It needs a roof rack too. Carrying a kayak, bikes or a surfboard as well as looking cool. I like the halfway setting for the tailgate to carry some longer items

When they were talking about bringing the Baja back a couple years ago, there were a lot of complaints that the bed was too small and load rating wasn’t high enough. That’s what I like about my Baja. I can throw a bunch of lightweight stuff in the back but nobody calls me when they’re moving.
ltdan12a
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by ltdan12a »

If the Santa Cruz bed was just a couple inches longer and had a pass-through, my Baja would be up for sale...
Ben Staad
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ben Staad »

Didn't notice that there was no pass through. Seems like a must.
ltdan12a wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:13 pm If the Santa Cruz bed was just a couple inches longer and had a pass-through, my Baja would be up for sale...
Slopchoppy
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Slopchoppy »

Santa Cruz has a mid-way setting for the tailgate where it’s partially down so you could load something in the bed and it could rest on the tailgate. I don’t know if it has spots to put 2x4’s to be at the level of the gate.

I’ve had my Baja since 2006 and never used the pass through because I live in Florida and it’s either too hot or raining. I had a t-bar made for my receiver hitch so I can put longer things partly on the roof rack and partly on the t-bar. I usually have a canoe or kayak up there but it works for lumber too