Gorilla Offroad Company

Forum for Vendors to post Subaru Baja and Brat stuff for sale.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Gorilla Offroad Company

Post by Skemcin »

I figured I'd post some details about what my company does, since we're almost through our first production run of the light bar. As you may know by know, we are based in Plainfield, IL and started off catering to the Impreza Rally community. We began with producing the Gorilla Light Bar for the Impreza, came over here due to the demand we found for the Baja and next is the Forester. As we expand our product line I will post them here - starting now....

Gorilla Light Bar

Gorilla Top Mounted Cold Air Intake

Gorilla Mud Flaps / Gravel Guards

Gorilla Jack Block

Please send a PM if you have any questions or comments on these, or any other, products.
Last edited by Skemcin on Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mjcmar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Gorilla Offroad Company

Post by mjcmar »

Your products look great!

I have a (possibly dumb) question about the CAI. (I was going to send a PM, but seems like it'd be better to have the information out here...) It's my understanding that CAIs usually require an intake pipe routed to the fender or somewhere outside the engine bay. How does this CAI get the cold air, if I were to install it on my non-turbo, non-hoodscooped Baja?
2003 Baja Classic, SilverStone Metallic
  • ARE bed cover
    Tweeters
    Outback VDC McIntosh headunit/amp
    Autodim mirror
    Subaru OEM hitch
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

mjcmar wrote:Your products look great!

I have a (possibly dumb) question about the CAI. (I was going to send a PM, but seems like it'd be better to have the information out here...) It's my understanding that CAIs usually require an intake pipe routed to the fender or somewhere outside the engine bay. How does this CAI get the cold air, if I were to install it on my non-turbo, non-hoodscooped Baja?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I don't mind fielding questions in the open forum at all - more than appropriate as far as I am concerned.

As for the CAI, Subaru uses two types of cold air sensors, maximum air pressure (MAP) and maximum air flow (MAF). The current version of our Top Mounted Cold Air Intake is for MAP cars only. I'll double check but I am pretty sure the non-turbo Baja uses a MAF sensor - that sensor sits in front of the passenger side strut tower near the front fender as you describe. It looks like this:

We are found that it needs at least 4" of straight pipe immediately behind it to avoid turbulence throwing the sensor off. This has created a design challenge that we will be revisiting soon enough. For the MAP based cars, the hood scoop is technically not required, but without it you'd be sucking in hot, trapped air from the engine bay. Again, I'll double check but I'm pretty sure the Baja uses a MAF sensor - either way, you would source a hood scoop an cut your hood or replace / swap your hood altogether with a wrecked turbo (for instance).

Hope that helps but let me know if you have some questions while I research the N/A Baja (unless someone beats me to it and posts up).
:-)
hocrest
Scoobytruck Master

Post by hocrest »

My 2003 NA has a MAP.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

hocrest wrote:My 2003 NA has a MAP.
Then it's plug and play - once you have a hood scoop. Here are the installation instructions for our intake system - maybe that will help see how it all comes together.

Gorilla Top Mounted Cold Air Intake
Installation Instructions

Introduction
The process outline below was done on a 2002 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport with a K&N Air Filter. The process may vary from one car to another but generally, this guide should get you through the installation.

Difficulty:
Easy

Time:
20-30 min.

Tools:
  • 10mm socket
  • 12mm socket with an extension
  • flat head screw driver
  • plyers or vice grips
  • hammer/mallet
  • shop rag/towel

Instructions

OEM Snorkus System

Remove Snorkus
Using the 12mm socket, you will remove the bottom tank from the fender floor. You will use the 10mm socket to remove fastener from the strut tower wall.

OEM Air Box Brackets
That should leave you with just the air box. Use the 10mm socket to remove the front left and side right bracket bolts.

OEM Air Box Hoses
Then loosen the pinch clasps on the left, bottom left, and right sides of the box.

Remove OEM Air Box
Use the flat head screw driver to remove the clasps at the base of the unit where it attaches to the throttle body.

Gorilla Air Intake System
Prepare the box by using the flat head screw driver to loosen the alligator clasps.

Collect/Clean Filter
If you are using a reusable filter it is imperative that you thoroughly clean the filter as it will be reverse from how it is installed in the OEM air box.

Install Filter
Place the filter in the recessed opening and press it down so it is level with the rest of the box.

Replace Cover
Place the lid back on the box and use the flat head screw driver to fasten the alligator clasps.

Prepare the Throttle Body Coupling
Slide the silicon couple on the intake's throttle body about one inch. Slide both claps on and tighten just enough so they do not slide off.

Prepare Mounting Brackets
Before attempting to fit the box, use the 12mm socket to remove the left bracket from the engine block. Then, push/bend the right mounting bracket about 2 and 5/8 of an inch back - toward the firewall.

Install the Gorilla Cold Air Intake
Lower the intake box from the top, middle down and slide the silicone coupling on to the throttle body's air intake opening. There is a ridge that the coupling should extend to, so you may have to remove and adjust the couplings location one or more times before it lined up correctly. While you are doing that, you will also have to use the hammer (with the shop rag for protection) to tap/bend the rear mounting tab to line up with the right mounting bracket that was pushed/bent back earlier. Again, these steps may need to be repeated a couplet times before you get a flush fit.

Reattach Breather Hoses
Using the pinch clips, reattach each of the three breather hoses to their respective places.

Install Complete
Step back and admire your work and prepare yourself for a little test run.

Close the hood and you're ready to go!

Please let me know if you have any questions or concerns.
mjcmar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by mjcmar »

Thanks to you both! Sounds like I need to source a Turbo hood... heh. :D
2003 Baja Classic, SilverStone Metallic
  • ARE bed cover
    Tweeters
    Outback VDC McIntosh headunit/amp
    Autodim mirror
    Subaru OEM hitch
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

I've posted some videos and recorded some outside vs intake temperatures to give folks an idea on how well the intake works. We'll have 1/4 pull comparing stick and Gorilla intake (not expected to be too dramatic) and dyno data in the coming week.
00’ Fozzerati
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 00’ Fozzerati »

Where can I buy one of these topmount CAI’s
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

We hope to resume production this year - I'll do my best to post information here when it becomes available.
00’ Fozzerati
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by 00’ Fozzerati »

Thank you! I’ve been trying to find one and can’t find any anywhere I got a sti front end conversion from Japan and I’ve got the good scoop and splitter just need the top mount!
Attachments
9F9BAD1D-B545-4569-87AC-08F03C5EE99C.jpeg
9F9BAD1D-B545-4569-87AC-08F03C5EE99C.jpeg (50.26 KiB) Viewed 48811 times
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Looks good and our intake will certainly be a nice addition.I'll know a little more tomorrow or Wednesday.
Airborneguy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Airborneguy »

Love that lightbar/winch mount! Will that be back in production and does it fit the Baja?
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Yes - we will be resume production off the Offroad Bar this Spring/Summer and it will fit the Baja.
:D
Airborneguy
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Airborneguy »

Great can’t wait. Please post it here as soon as it is back for sale!
roadsterdoc
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by roadsterdoc »

Put me down for a Baja offroad bar. Best one I’ve seen!
Skemcin wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:56 am Yes - we will be resume production off the Offroad Bar this Spring/Summer and it will fit the Baja.
:D
2004 Baja Turbo MT, mystic blue pearl
2011 BMW 1M, alpine white
2004 MazdaSpeed Miata, red
2001 Porsche 996T, viola
1969 Datsun 2000 Roadster, red
2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800, red
2016 KTM 690 Enduro R