Dumb luck with new muffler

Subaru Brat Discussions - HEY BRAT PEOPLE. If you have any ideas for the Brat section of the site, please PM jaxed!
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Dumb luck with new muffler

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Well my bobbed lifted brat finally started to annoy me with its lack of a muffler... so after 2.5 years of having it... its finally quiet! I bought what I thought was a universal muffler... like 6 inches around, offset in and out and 1.75 inch pipe...

Turns out it had mounts already welded to it.... I thought ok no prob, I can fab that.

Slid it on this morning... slid over the existing pipe... good my calipers worked and measured it perfect... rotated it a bit... hmmm this muffler hanger matches!

pulled a bit... Woa... #2 matches too!

What I thought was a univeral kit... turned out PERFECT!... even the tailpipe comes out RIGHT below the rear angle iron piece that I used where the rear bumper used to be (its a roll pan I guess)... its got a 9 inch shortened tail, so I used some beefy stuff back there when I rebuilt it.

All I had to do was weld a seam around the pipe and it fit like a puzzle piece. :D I wish everything else on this project woulda gone that smooth.
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Woweeee, did you get lucky!! If I ever tried somethin like that, I would be beatin my head on the floor trying to get it to fit. Even to do a factory muffler job is a PIHA most of the time, always somethin not right. Mike
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

Ya I got REALLY lucky this time... most projects on this car took afew tries :?

I was glad this one didnt. (the clutch took like 5 tries to get right)
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k