Transmission cooler

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Transmission cooler

Post by sporter »

Have you ever had a Subaru dealer install one? I understand from these posts that Subaru doesn't offer an OEM cooler but wondered if they would install an aftermarket unit? Cost?
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

I did - I was not comfortable doing it myself, due to physical disability that limits me some anymore. Cost about $150. Bought cooler online - total costs for everything was less than $200. Worth it as far as I am concerned.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Re: Transmission cooler

Post by mbaksic »

sporter wrote:Have you ever had a Subaru dealer install one? I understand from these posts that Subaru doesn't offer an OEM cooler but wondered if they would install an aftermarket unit? Cost?
Hey Sporter,

Take a look at the post here on Towing With the Baja. Its a few pages back. I installed an aftermarket trans cooler. It was a PITA, but it works. I figure that it has saved the trans from overheating everytime I tow my ATV's.

Mike
Even though I work on Dodges, I don't own one.
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

I know that larger U-Haul dealers sell and install them. They can order one that will fit the Baja. They custom manufacture their own line of transmission coolers.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kidjoe »

I believe japanparts sells a STI transmission cooler.
Trucklet
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Trucklet »

Unless you are stuck on the dealer doing the job, any competent garage should be able to nstall this for a reasonable price. Having done this myelf a few months ago, I can say it's fairly simple if you get a decent kit. I went with this one http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/merch ... u-cool-lpd and it fit nicely. I did not need to purchase any other parts to install and did the install in about 2 hours (going very carefully and slowly). Without a transmission temperature gauge, it's hard to say for sure how much it really helps. I just know I feel a lot better when towing with an extra cooler, whether it's a factory cooler on a full size truck, or aftermarket on the Baja. Cheap protection.
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

Thanks Trucklet, which unit did you buy?
Trucklet
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Trucklet »

sporter wrote:Thanks Trucklet, which unit did you buy?
I went with the 4452. But that's just me. Although the 4454 is larger and the price difference is negligible, I was concerned about mounting space, so opted for the slightly smaller unit. At a GVWR of 14,500lbs, I think this is more than adequate for a Baja. I followed the instructions included with the unit without any problems and mounted the unit on the front of the radiator passenger side. It may just be marketing, but I liked the description of this unit with the low pressure drop and design that allows the trans fluid to bypass the cooler until it warms up. Important if you live where it gets cold in the winter. As always, YMMV.
sporter
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by sporter »

Thanks for all the tips. I had it done at U-Haul today, $125.00 total.