Introduction and questions

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

The Distance
Scoobytruck Contributer

Introduction and questions

Post by The Distance »

I am a proud new owner of an '06 Baja Turbo and so far I'm enjoying it thoroughly. I've been reading posts on this site for weeks but have only recently registered. I'm looking forward to gleaning much from those that are more experience and familiar with this automobile than I.

I have some questions, and I'm sure I'll have more later.

A.R.E Camper Shell

What's a reasonable price for this unit? I've been quoted anything ranging from 1600 to 2000, but I thought I heard of someone getting one for $1300.

I have an OzBros bed cover. Will the locking assembly for an A.R.E cover interfer with the same assembly for the Ozbros cover?

Heated Mirrors

Is my understanding correct that all the Bajas are pre-wired for the heated mirrors?

Canoe Hauling

Does anyone else haul a canoe? The Yakima system doesn't seem to fit the factory roof rack (made by Yakima), thus requiring purchase of new towers and cross bars. Has anyone found an alternative?

I'm pleased to be a member of this community and thanks in advance for the assistance.
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Sorry, but other than to say "welcome" I'm useless to you on those questions.

I will say there is a thread about the mirrors, if not here, then it is on NASIOC in the Baja section.
Pow
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Pow »

I'm pretty sure there is a heated mirrors discussion in these forums, although it is entirely possible there is one or more over at NASIOC. When I had looked at the wiring harnesses in the door I don't think I had seen the necessary connections. Doesn't mean it's impossible tho.

Regarding your other questions I too am lacking any further info. Maybe it's a southeastern PA thing... Kev M and I are probably less than 10 miles apart I think.

I have a question... how did you acquire this Baja Turbo? Is this a brand new purchase or did you catch someone that had an low mile trade-in or demo car? I just picked up my 06 Baja in October, if I had wanted to go the extra for a turbo the closest was on the other side of the state, at least in the blue color. The dealer indicated that they were real slim pickins. I'm surprised that there are any left at all at this point!

Welcome to the club! Be sure to check with Jaxed to see what he has left for Scoobytruck.com stickers and pick up one or a dozen. Represent! :D

-Pow
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Introduction and questions

Post by canuck37 »

Canoe Hauling

Does anyone else haul a canoe? The Yakima system doesn't seem to fit the factory roof rack (made by Yakima), thus requiring purchase of new towers and cross bars. Has anyone found an alternative?

Yakima makes towers and bars for Baja. I carry my 15' Winonah canoe easily.
The Distance
Scoobytruck Contributer

how acquired

Post by The Distance »

Pow,

The local Subaru dealer had just sold its last Turbo. They had two or three new Sports and one used one. . .don't know if it was Turbo or not. As I was pulling out of the dealership, this Turbo in Atlantic Blue Pearl drives by--it had a dealership license tag on it. I did a quick u-turn and caught up to the guy at the first stop light, got his attention and asked if the car was for sale.
It was a trade in on a Toyota lot. It had 27,000 miles on when I got it (just six weeks ago).
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

Heh...when I bought my turbo last fall, I had read that production had ended in April '06 - so I was surprised that the local dealership still had any left. I ran right out and bought it, basically...and didn't negotiate much, because I didn't think I would be able to find any new ones for much longer.

But, they still have a pile of them even today. Any color, so long as it's not black.

http://www.mastro.subaru.com/

Three turbos, although no auto or leather if you're into that.
The Distance
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by The Distance »

Yakima makes towers and bars for Baja. I carry my 15' Winonah canoe easily.[/quote]

Canuck37,

I'm interested in hearing a little more about your canoe mounting or see some pictures if you have some available. I have a 17.5 foot Clipper and in order to place the anterior thwart in a position to secure it to the front of the vehicle the center of the canoe is positioned very near the front of the roof rack, if not just beyond it. I would think with your shorter boat this would be even more of an issue.

How do you attach your boat to the front of your boat?

Thanks.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

The Distance wrote:Yakima makes towers and bars for Baja. I carry my 15' Winonah canoe easily.
Canuck37,

I'm interested in hearing a little more about your canoe mounting or see some pictures if you have some available. I have a 17.5 foot Clipper and in order to place the anterior thwart in a position to secure it to the front of the vehicle the center of the canoe is positioned very near the front of the roof rack, if not just beyond it. I would think with your shorter boat this would be even more of an issue.

How do you attach your boat to the front of your boat?

Thanks.[/quote]

I don't have any pics at hand, but it sits very nicely across the Yakima racks, which are about 29" apart max. - balances well. 2 straps across the top. Then a nose tiedown under front bumper to bow and tiedowns on stern to the 2 bed hooks near tailgate. Very secure.