How long for a break in?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bnther36
Scoobytruck Contributer

How long for a break in?

Post by bnther36 »

I've had my Baja for a little while here and almost all of my driving is on the highway. I'm a little dissapointed in the mileage that I've been getting. It's a non-turbo 5-speed and the last time I checked I got 24.2 MPG. They're telling me the rings will seat better at around 10K miles, but I'm beginning to wonder if I will ever actually get the 28 MPG that's on the sticker.
Flowmastered87GL
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Flowmastered87GL »

I have a 5 speed non turbo as well and the mpg has started to improve after 10K I am at 20.6 MPG city right now... not sure what I am highway. But it seems like I can go farther now
2005 Baja Sport, 51k ("NU BRAT")
2004 Freightliner Columbia Day Cab 504k
nacho
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by nacho »

The only time I got 28 MPG was when I drove close to 400 miles in one drive and most of it was on cruise control. The rest of the time I am getting 19 MPG in the city and 23 on the highway. Currently I have 4600 miles driven. In my opinion the sticker for fuel economy is when you have perfect driving conditions which in reality there is no perfect driving conditions. Personally, I think it is safe to say that 20 to 21 in the city and 24 to 26 in the highway would be more realistic. I am trying out a SPT intake but have only fueled up twice. I think after a few more times of fueling up. I will get a good indicator on what the intake will do for the fuel efficiency. I am wondering who got the most MPG on their Baja.
mikey6331
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by mikey6331 »

My mileage seems to have improved a bit after the first oil change, and now up to 5k miles or so. It was only 17.5mpg at first, but I seem to be averaging around 19 or so now. (turbo, auto.).

On the other hand, we're just getting into the season here where the air conditioning is not needed as much, so that may have something to do with it too...
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

Just turned 2k miles on my 5-speed sport.

My commute is all back-roads, but at least with few stops and only a couple of lights at the very end.

That said, I'm seeing a combined average of 22-23 mpg at every fill-up.

The only time I've driven extended highway so far was an hour or two of 80 mph :oops: and I didn't see any real improvement.

I'll be changing to M1 synth at 3k and expect that with everything wearing in, IF I can keep the speeds down on the highway, I betcha the mileage will start creeping up.

K
medtec
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by medtec »

I've got about 5k on the baja sport a/t. it has improved since I bought it, right now I'm getting 22-23 mostly around town, plenty of lights but no congestion. Highway gives me about 26.