ARE Canopy and Yakima Rack

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

ARE Canopy and Yakima Rack

Post by Eric »

There are a few threads regarding racks, kayaks and caps. I took some quick photos this past weekend with the wife's twentyfooter on the roof of my 06, and then made a quick webpage. The quality of the photographs or webpage isn't great, but I'm sure you'll get the idea.
http://fridgefoto.biz/bajarack/bajarack.html
Things to note about the rack: Adequate spread for a large and heavy boat, two different kinds of rack technologies EZ Riders on the car, Tracks on the canopy. Also notice how the Tracks on the canopy are not parallel to the factory rack, but they are parellel to each other. The body of the vehicle is not parallel, so after installation the racks may look a little "off."

Here's the story of how screwy the installation can be if not done correctly
"Once mounted, the caps are great... BUT" viewtopic.php?t=688

For my comments on a sea kayaking rack, see this thread: "I use rope"
viewtopic.php?t=614
Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Great advise on all the racks- which brings up the question of Cross country ski carriers? I just realized that I can no longer just toss my skis in the back of my pickup- Now I need a ski rack for the baja- Any Suggestions?
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
Eric
Scoobytruck Lurker

I have an old set of Powderhounds

Post by Eric »

I have an old set of Yakima Powderhounds. I bought them years ago - the new models are easier to open and close. Of course, the factory rack crossbar system is strong enough to carry skis. The things I considered when buying, was to pony up a few more bucks and get something that could hold six (I think it's six) pairs of skis - and, more importantly, the spread of the crossbars. The crossbar-spread should be close enough together to deter some jackass from sliding your expensive gear out from your expensive rack... while you're away partaking in aprés ski activities.

On the other hand, a fancy-schmancy cargo box, which in our household is commonly referred to as "a lozenge" would be ideal, but they didn't make lozenges when I bought my ski rack, not to mention (personally speaking) the price of those things makes me think twice about how much my old skis are really worth.
Eric
Sunny West Seattle, the land that time forgot.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Guess I'll have to look into it- As for riping off my skis- Well I use 210 cm skis so they are way too long to be slid out of the rack- but my wife and daughters could easily be slid out (great advice- something I would never had considered!) THe cargo box is a great idea too- but for the Money- well like you said- how much are my skis really worth???
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback