adding turbo to a sport?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Nick52
Scoobytruck Lurker

adding turbo to a sport?

Post by Nick52 »

Hi so im going to most likely buy my parents old subaru baja off of them when i get my license...its an 03 yellow baja sport. For the most part I like it but it would be nice to get the turbo with it and make it a little faster. I dont know a ton about cars and I have been looking stuff up for a while seeing what I could do to my baja to make it even better. I was just wondering if this is even really possible and how hard it would be and the cost of this??
If not im thinking about just getting a nice nav. system and maybe some other little things. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated.
Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomis »

From what i hear its a major ordeal to put a turbo on the sport because it has no existing pipework....also isnt the 03 a 2.0?
jeffsmith
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jeffsmith »

This the "Old Fart" in me speaking :roll:

But if you are just getting your license
the LAST thing you need is a Turbo

Some people complain the Sport isn't fast enough
and its true the Turbo packs more punch

But I test drove both the Sport & Turbo
and decided the Sport was plenty quick enough
and the Turbo would just ge me into trouble
ie many many more traffic tickets or worse :(

Buy the Baja Sport from your folks
Tune it up & Customize it with other things
other than trying to put a Turbo in it

and I Promise you, you WILL like it
The Trouble With Normal is it Only Gets Worse
Silflay Hraka, u Embleer Rah!
I'll admit I needed a Life, but settled for a Fishing Boat
Atomis
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Atomis »

I agree with jeff if you are just getting your card speed is the last thing you need.....been there done that done the community service :roll:
Nick52
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Nick52 »

I think from what I saw the 03 is a 2.5 but yea maybe thats a better idea not to do it since it seems like that would be a ton of work anyways even if I wanted to do it, and expensive. Maybe a project in the future if I plan on keeping this car for a while.

Anyone know about the price for those sport activity lights that go on top of the baja? I also read somewhere that you have to have the parking break on in order for these to work, is this right for all of them? I'm thinking about getting them but if that is the case I wouldn't.

I'm also looking into a navigation system, I saw one guy on this forums that put one in his that looked really nice. It seemed kind of expensive though over $2000. I know they aren't cheap but does anyone know a good one maybe a little cheaper? Any help or ideas on what I could do would be great.
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

It seems you are making the right decision, not to have a turbo, while you're still considered an "inexperienced driver". Law enforcement is a lot harder on you!

As far as the Sport Lights, check eBay, you may find some good deals like myself. I bought mine on eBay for just $99.00. Just make sure that you get the ones for an 03. The wiring is different for the later models. Check http://www.ptcfactoryoutlet.com/, they were the ones that had them listed on eBay.

Change the stock air filter for a K&N filter. I noticed a little difference in acceleration and overall, I think it runs better.
Good Luck!
-EB
Nick52
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Nick52 »

Thanks a lot.
But im still wondering can you only use them when parked? Thats what it seems like but im just trying to make sure. Do you find any real use in these or are they more of just a cool accessory? It looks like I could bid on some and get it for about $99 which isn't bad at all.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Yes, you have to pull the parking brake at least a notch to get them to work. BUT you can drive with it up a click.
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Nick52,
Somewhere on this forum there is mention of overriding the parking break issue. I haven't tried it myself yet, but it does seem to work for others.
-EB
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

in my opinion, nothing wrong with a turbo as long as you are responsible...

But putting a turbo on a non turbo 2.5 is not a very good idea. For the time and money it would take to do it right and keep it from exploding you could swap in a turbo 2.0 and for alittle more even the turbo 2.5.
jeffsmith
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by jeffsmith »

Hawk296 wrote:in my opinion, nothing wrong with a turbo as long as you are responsible...
I agree

but having a Turbo as your very first car after just getting your license
might not be the best of situations
But putting a turbo on a non turbo 2.5 is not a very good idea. For the time and money it would take to do it right and keep it from exploding you could swap in a turbo 2.0 and for alittle more even the turbo 2.5.
Agreed
The Trouble With Normal is it Only Gets Worse
Silflay Hraka, u Embleer Rah!
I'll admit I needed a Life, but settled for a Fishing Boat
Nick52
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Nick52 »

Well I see what you guys are trying to say as in im a young driver and that I don't need a turbo which I kind of agree, but even if I don't do it now it might still be something I look into later so thats another reason why im just looking for info since you guys know a lot more than me.

Anyone know about how much that would cost swapping in a 2.0 turbo or 2.5 turbo? Is the transmission different too between the sport and turbo?

My parents let me drive there audi tt quite a bit and that is really quick and fast...I definitley don't need anything that fast but it would be nice to have something a little faster.
holland_patrick
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by holland_patrick »

3500 from rallitek for a 2.5 turbo upgrade running 3-5 pounds of boost and 100 more HP.

that said you still have to put it in but it's all done after that..

Oh ya don't for get premium fuel..$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Hawk296
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Hawk296 »

Turbo and NA transmissions are different. You CAN run a turbo motor on an NA transmission with an upgraded clutch. The difference is that the turbo trans has a pivot pin in it for the pull style clutch while the NA has a push style clutch. They will both physically bolt up to the same engine though. The non turbo transmission also has different gear ratios I beleive.