New Baja Owner

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

usmc13

New Baja Owner

Post by usmc13 »

Hello, just bought my first subaru, wanted to save gas money and have something that would be fun to drive. Traded in my dodge ram 1500 quad cab, missing the room but the subaru does not seem as cheaply built. Was wondering if there was anything I can do to improve gas mileage? I have read alot of posts but they seem to be pointed at the turbo which I was unable to get. Also was wondering if there was anybody in the north west area?Image
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Nanook »

Welcome to the Club.

As far as mileage the best thing you can do is drive conservativley, and keep your fluids and tires checked. Keeping it below 3000rpm while accelerating will do wonders, and lay of the accelerator while aproaching a red light. Common sense stuff mostly.

I'm in Alaska, or is that too far northwest?
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

Hey Nanook, thanks for the comeback. I was wondering about the k&n air filters or cold air intakes if that would help(just trying to get every mile I can). As for Alaska, you are definetly the north west, I was kinda wondering how many people on here were from wa, or, id so I could locate parts and shops that would do a decient job on the baja.

Since you live in the cold region, how does the baja handle in the cold?
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Welcome to the Baja clan. You will fall in love with the little critter like all of us here have. You look to have a twin to my 03 Classic, Regatta Red with the Silver. As an answer to your mileage question, I am getting about 25.5 right now back and forth to work with the automatic. I have gotten 31.1 on a trip without using the a/c. In the winter, playin in the snow, about 22, maybe worse if I am having fun on the slick roads. You will like this thing in the winter, goes like nutz in just about anything. And of course, it beat the heck out of what the Ram will do on gas. I know, I work in a Dodge stealership. I just don't drive their stuff anymore, I drive something a heck of alot better. Mike
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

Well Mike if thats not wierd I'm a Mike too. As for the 03 it is also an automatic, have you tried using a k&n air filter or a cold air intake? Part of getting rid of the truck (to make the wife happy) was to get better gas millage, so I wondering if thier is any other things that might help.
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Nanook »

Subaru is made for winter driving. I get better traction on ice with summer tires than a buddy of mine who drives a gmc sierra in 4H with studded tires. Sofar I've made the trip from Haines to fairbanks and back in October and January without any issues. Do note however that after -30F the engine will hesitate and perhaps even stall while warming up, this is true for almost everything before a little after factory modification on the idle speed.

If you're dealing with freezing weather often you'll need a block heater, oil pan heater, and battery blanket. It'll save the life of your car in cold weather(0F and lower) and help with the starting problem in extreme cold weather.

As for the increased mileage off an air intake, I have no experience. It has been stated elsewhere that the foam intakes from perrin can help mileage by 5-10%. Thats only ~1-3mpg but its something to think about.
Spacinjasman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: New Baja Owner

Post by Spacinjasman »

usmc13 wrote:Hello, just bought my first subaru, wanted to save gas money and have something that would be fun to drive. Traded in my dodge ram 1500 quad cab, missing the room but the subaru does not seem as cheaply built. Was wondering if there was anything I can do to improve gas mileage? I have read alot of posts but they seem to be pointed at the turbo which I was unable to get. Also was wondering if there was anybody in the north west area?Image
:D Hey congrats on your new Baja. I hope you enjoy it as much as we have enjoyed ours. We are located in Southern Oregon, Grants Pass to be exact. I have to take the Baja to Medford for any dealer work as that is the closest dealership. I too traded a Dodge for my Subaru. Mine was an '01 Dakota Quad Cab with V8. Terrible mileage! The Baja does way better even with the turbo.
Good luck with your Subaru, I hope you enjoy it as much as we enjoy ours!
Spacinjason
'06 Silver Baja Turbo MT
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Welcome!
No matter what you do with your Baja, it will still give you much better gasmileage than your Dodge. It is good to see that there are more Regatta Red Bajas around, I have an '03 Sport, manual and love it. Replacing the stock filter with a K&N one slightly increased my mileage and it runs better too.
Good Luck and welcome again.
-EB
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

Hey Nanook, from what you said and what I've heard on the forum she works well in the snow. This will work out pretty well.

Hey Spacin, I used to live south of Grants Pass in a small town called Williams, you getting any of this rain?

Hey Eb, I will be putting in a k&n air filter, it did seem to help my other vehicles.

Thanks for all the feedback, baja people are pretty cool.
mbaksic
Scoobytruck God

Post by mbaksic »

Hey Mike, the cold air intake is a hoot, if nothin else it sounds like a big motorcycle when you bury you foot in it. I never did any mileage check with it before and after, but it has that neat sound. Its a cheap one my brother bought for my off of ebay for my birthday 2 years ago. I have to get a new element for it so I can clean this one, its all full of crap, and I have never cleaned it out yet. Once I get a clean one on, the mileage should go up some. Mike
autumnmist83
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by autumnmist83 »

welcome to the baja world
Spacinjasman
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Spacinjasman »

usmc13 wrote:Hey Nanook, from what you said and what I've heard on the forum she works well in the snow. This will work out pretty well.

Hey Spacin, I used to live south of Grants Pass in a small town called Williams, you getting any of this rain?

Hey Eb, I will be putting in a k&n air filter, it did seem to help my other vehicles.

Thanks for all the feedback, baja people are pretty cool.
:D Hey usmc13- Yeah we been getting some rain here. Kind of overcast and muggy a lot the last week. I know Williams, use to love to ride out that way when I had street bikes. Nice ride. Enjoy your Baja. Spacinjason
'06 Silver Baja Turbo MT
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

It looks like I will be moving up to tacoma, wa. this winter so maybe I will have a chance to drive the baja in some snow and have a little fun. I enjoy seeing all the pics of the off roading bajas don't know if I'm up to that yet, at least the way I did in my dodge(more clearence). It does seem to go anywhere. Mike
Nanook
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Nanook »

if you get the chance, find a nice open parking lot with fresh snow. Turn hard and kick the gas a bit, you can get an awsome powerslide goin with all four wheels if you play your cards just rite. Got the chance last winter in an old k-mart lot and made some nice tracks in 3-4 feet of power :twisted:
usmc13

Post by usmc13 »

I saw the video on the forum of the baja doing doughnuts and then just drove away like nothing happened, looked pretty cool.