Spare Tire

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

bajama
Scoobytruck Lurker

Spare Tire

Post by bajama »

I am sure this has been asked before but will a full size spare fit in the well under the bed of an 05 baja
hookupny
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Spare Tire

Post by hookupny »

bajama wrote:I am sure this has been asked before but will a full size spare fit in the well under the bed of an 05 baja
Other forum responses have indicated that a full size spare will indeed fit...I haven't tried it myself but perhaps I will find a spare wheel someday and see.
daloon53
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by daloon53 »

I did some measuring and figure that the diameter is an OK fit, but the full size 225x16 will hang down about an additional 4 inches below the donut. I am currently looking for a Forester steelie rim to transform into a full size spare, as the size and offset are apparently the same.
bajama
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajama »

I found a matching wheel but I'm not sure if the price $125 is a good deal I may also try to find a steelie
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

When I bought the car, the dealer salesperson assured me repeatedly that a Full Size spare would fit. The owner's manual says never to put a full size spare in it.

Ground clearance is already limited to 8". If the full size spare sticks an additional 4" down, does this cut overall ground clearance to 4"?

The circumfrence of all the tires can vary no more than 1/32" of an inch with the AWD system, or else you risk severe damage to the AWD system.

The reason I considered a full size spare is so I don't have to disable the AWD system (read the owner's manual--it says you need to pull out a fuse to disable AWD with the spare).

With road wear, my fear is that there would likely be more than 1/32" difference, even with a full size spare.

I'd be interested in finding out from owners of other types of Subarus (like Outback, WRX, etc) if they have full sized spares, or if you still have to disable AWD with a full size spare?
kidjoe
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by kidjoe »

As an option....and only if you have the oem cargo rack. You can purchase the spare tire mounting kit for the cargo rack from Yakima. This would allow you to carry a full sized spare. Looks pretty cool too!
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

I can't find in my 03 manual where it talks about disableing the AWD when running the spare- It does state that you should not put the full size tire and rim in the spare carrier- and even goes as far as to show how to muont the Flat tire in the bed of the Baja for safe transportation-
ebbie97
Scoobytruck Master

Post by ebbie97 »

Only when you have an AT, you need to disable the AWD-system. With MT, you just put the donut on and of you go to get your tire repaired.
-EB
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

Thanks- I was all in a panic!!! I reread the manual last night- Yup only for Auto Trans- I skipped right over it (see that is Why Standards are Better!!!!)
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

stefan wrote:Yup only for Auto Trans- I skipped right over it (see that is Why Standards are Better!!!!)
With the traffic in this area, a standard shift is not a good choice. It took me 3 hours to get home last night (15miles) because of traffic accidents. My normal 12 mile commute is anywhere from 25-45 minutes.
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

LMAO- All I drive is standard- Even when I was an on the road salesman (putting 50,000 mile a year on my car) I drove standard- I just don't like the Automatic tranny- even in city driving- Plus the control a stick gives you is amazing (especially in our Winters!)
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

So anyone figure out a place for a full-size spare yet?

I'm thinking that if I get the hard-locking tonneau I can always carry a full-size spare in the bed for road-trips, and just keep the donut around for local use.

Any other solutions?

Kev
stefan
Scoobytruck Master

Post by stefan »

You can "lock down" a full size in the bed- or get one of those cool cargo boxes for the roof rack- other than that- your stuck in "donutland"
I always wanted a BRAT, I had a Baja (sold) Now I have an Outback
Kev M
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Kev M »

stefan wrote:You can "lock down" a full size in the bed- or get one of those cool cargo boxes for the roof rack- other than that- your stuck in "donutland"
that's what I was figuring.

I think I'll go lockdown.

I want to keep the roof free and open most of the year. Except maybe coem ski-time, then it is cargo box time.