Baja 5spd Misfire 1st time owner help

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Scooby-Fishing
Scoobytruck Lurker

Baja 5spd Misfire 1st time owner help

Post by Scooby-Fishing »

ok, so i got an 03 Baja with a 5spd Manual on a trade. This is my first subaru, but i am familiar with them, as my buddy is a bit of a fanatic. Also, hobbyist mechanic, so i know my way around an engine bay, just not THIS engine bay. Ok, so to preface this, it has 220k miles. EJ25, new water pump, new head gaskets, new timing belt, new coil packs, new ignition pack, new plugs and wires (allegedly, but they do look new). Now for my issue. It has issues starting in the morning, like wont fire til the third or fourth time i crank it over. then it misfires/stalls for a few attempts, then finally is able to hold itself afloat, but still missing pretty bad. i give it some gas to clear out the heads, misfire will go away, until i go to move, then it wants to bog and stall, especially in 1st and 2nd at lower rpms, really anything under about 2k. and even sometimes driving highway going from 4th to 5th, it will catch a misfire, then works itself out. ive only had this thing for a few days, and i really want to make it work, as i want it to replace my big ram, but im unsure which direction i need to move in, as this is my first subaru, but also it hasnt thrown a CEL at all....i was thinking possible fuel injectors first, double check all the plugs and coils, then maybe a vacuum check? but i just dont know. any help is appreciated.
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Baja 5spd Misfire 1st time owner help

Post by Guacamole »

If all that has been replaced and is not defective, possible fault or clog in the fuel pump or O2 sensors?
Hopefully not an ECU fault.
new_2_soobaaroo
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Baja 5spd Misfire 1st time owner help

Post by new_2_soobaaroo »

Scooby-Fishing wrote: Wed Aug 09, 2023 5:17 pm ok, so i got an 03 Baja with a 5spd Manual on a trade. This is my first subaru, but i am familiar with them, as my buddy is a bit of a fanatic. Also, hobbyist mechanic, so i know my way around an engine bay, just not THIS engine bay. Ok, so to preface this, it has 220k miles. EJ25, new water pump, new head gaskets, new timing belt, new coil packs, new ignition pack, new plugs and wires (allegedly, but they do look new). Now for my issue.
Wish I could help, but I can only commiserate. Recently purchased a 2005 turbo 5 spd. Ran a bit warm on the way home, and clutch was slipping. Long story short, new clutch/pressure plate/flywheel, new timing belt & water pump, new head gaskets, new plugs, etc. I finally got it back together and now its throwing P0301 dtc & CEL, cyl #1 misfire. Swapping coils between #1 and #3 didn't help. (Actually, code reader showed pending P0304, cyl #4 misfire afterwards, as well as #1). I'm thinking it might be a fuel injector and/or fuel pressure issue but haven't made time to run diagnostics on that yet. (started with the low hanging fruit and hoped to get lucky)