Silver “baja” branded roof racks, what is the deal?

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Sabretooth2213
Scoobytruck Lurker

Silver “baja” branded roof racks, what is the deal?

Post by Sabretooth2213 »

Hi all, hoping to find some info on the origins of the silver baja roof rack cross bars. Here in Canada it seems some 2003 bajas were sold/available with them, but I’ve only been able to find confirmed pictures of 2 other baja with them (mine is in Ontario, one is in BC and one is NS). From what I’ve gathered they don’t seem to be dealer specific and certainly not home made. I’ve spoken to other (US central) baja groups who’ve resoundingly told me that I’m crazy and they don’t exist, despite my evidence to the contrary. I’ve also spoken with a Subaru employee who mentioned a part# revision in 03 for the baja cross bars.

All that is to say, I’m trying to figure out why they exist in seemingly low quantities, if at all. Where/why were they available? Does anyone know why Subaru abandoned them in favour of the conventional cross bars that appear in all the marketing material?

Any info/input would be appreciated, thanks in advance.
Attachments
IMG_0283.jpeg
IMG_0283.jpeg (171.95 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
IMG_0284.jpeg
IMG_0284.jpeg (581.04 KiB) Viewed 4725 times
Guacamole
Scoobytruck God

Re: Silver “baja” branded roof racks, what is the deal?

Post by Guacamole »

Seems to be Canada-only option. I have no sound details other than that.

Speculation:
Considering this thread, viewtopic.php?p=24336, of said crossbars new in box (part number xsci306630), I'm guessing they were an add-on option for the first year of Canadian production, and possibly crossbars weren't a standard option for Canadian sales?
Canada Bajas also have different features vs US and Chile models so it's the best solution I can come up with.
Sabretooth2213
Scoobytruck Lurker

Re: Silver “baja” branded roof racks, what is the deal?

Post by Sabretooth2213 »

Guacamole wrote:Seems to be Canada-only option. I have no sound details other than that.

Speculation:
Considering this thread, viewtopic.php?p=24336, of said crossbars new in box (part number xsci306630), I'm guessing they were an add-on option for the first year of Canadian production, and possibly crossbars weren't a standard option for Canadian sales?
Canada Bajas also have different features vs US and Chile models so it's the best solution I can come up with.
That’s pretty much the best I can come up with myself. Thank you a ton for the link though, I’m at least vindicated. The amount of people who told me they’re aftermarket is staggering. Honestly thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk