Install an FM Modulator with me.

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

jaxed
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Install an FM Modulator with me.

Post by jaxed »

I picked up an FM modulator so that I can listen to my iPod with my "stock" head unit and not have the crappy distortion of a crummy FM transmitter (read: iTrip).

Here is the unit I purchased: Audiovox FM Modulator. I think I am going to pull power from the cig lighter, and also wire my super secret project into that as well. I plan on drilling into the empty roof-light switch plate and installing the switch for the modulator as well as an audio jack there. When done, it should look professional - ha ha ha.

I am going to document the procedures and provide pictures of the whole thing, cause I have nothing better to do. Keep your eyes peeled.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

Ok, here we go - first picture is the "before"... nothing to see here, really:

Starting to take off the bezels and what-not so I can get to the hvac/stereo unit:

hvac/stereo unit is loose! Note I took the switch blank from the lower left of the unit so I could install the switch for the modulator there. I guess I won't be installing the factory roof lights!

Here's a shot of the Audiovox FM Modulator: $49.99 at Car Toys. I could have probably saved money by finding something online, but BAH...

Here I got everything apart but all hooked up to make sure it's all gonna work. Seems to.

I stuck the modulator behind the hvac unit wiring - it fit snugly and so I didn't screw it into anything... I hope this doesn't come back to bite me!

Unit is going back in.. Note the switch which turns on the modulator - I drilled a hole for it. Also the audio cable comes out of the storage below the stereo - that is where the controls for the night rider light live so I figure it would work there. My original plan was to have an audio jack right above the switch for the modulator but there was not enough real estate for that. :(

All in and done and working.

This took me about 1 hour to do, no problems along the way. I did end up pulling power from the back of the cigarette lighter for the modulator.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

looks good! like the switch :!:
Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

What is right under your stereo?

Post by Atomic Baja »

Hi Jaxed,

I like your "Kitt" car! I was just wondering what the thing is right below your stereo? Is it storage? I'm thinking that if I replace my double-din head unit with a single, that might be the way to go to fill in the gap...

Thanks,
Brian
jaxed

Re: What is right under your stereo?

Post by jaxed »

Atomic Baja wrote:Hi Jaxed,

I like your "Kitt" car! I was just wondering what the thing is right below your stereo? Is it storage? I'm thinking that if I replace my double-din head unit with a single, that might be the way to go to fill in the gap...

Thanks,
Brian
Yup, just a door. I've since filled it with the kitt light controls, but its just a storage area.
Packa
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Packa »

Jax -- what do you think of the sound of the FM modulator?
Atomic Baja
Scoobytruck Contributer

I just put one in...

Post by Atomic Baja »

Packa wrote:Jax -- what do you think of the sound of the FM modulator?
I'm not Jax, but I did put on in this last weekend. It sounds like a good, strong FM station. Don't even bother with the wireless FM transmitters; they sound horrible. You can usually find an FM modulator (wired) at your local car stereo installation shop if Best Buy doesn't have one. I paid $43 for mine.
jaxed

Post by jaxed »

I find the sound from the FM modulator to be good enough for me. Not CD quality, but clear. No static and distortion like an FM transmitter.