Driving on the beach

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

Baja_Fisherman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Driving on the beach

Post by Baja_Fisherman »

Has anyone driven the Baja on the beach? Just purchased one and was wondering how they drive on the sand.
cliffhanger
Scoobytruck Master

Post by cliffhanger »

seems like you're asking for a whole lot of extra cleaning to me... but it also sounds like a good time. No, sorry, i have not driven my baja on the beach, but i do seem to remember someone on here a while back talking about it. afterall, it is named the baja...
bajanut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by bajanut »

I haven't driven my baja on sand, they don't allow that thing here on the central coast, ca. But I have driven my 90 legacy sedan on the sand up in Long Beach, WA. It was FWD, but wasn't a problem. Just keept it on the wet and was ok. I saw a lot of heaver cars there and none of them had a problem as well. I have also driven a early Ford Aerostar 4x4 and didn't have a problem. The Ford was a lot heavier than the baja.
---------------
Ben
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

We drove ours on Daytona Beach, there's a speed limit of 5mph though:

More pics on our Cardomain site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/927204/2

Now this scoobytruck member (turbobaja) REALLY drove their Baja in the sand!!!

Just a side note, we've taken the baja off road (sand, gravel, abandonded roads) and through mass quantities of snow-and it hasn't faultered yet. Of course, it has it's limits, but it pulls great dougnuts in the snow!! (see vid here: http://baja.jaxed.com/vid/baja_dougnuts.avi and going down a snow covered road-those are snowmobile ruts, not tire tracks form other 4 wheel vehicles: http://baja.jaxed.com/vid/ice_highway.avi ) There are some off road pics on the cardomain site also...
JohnMJ216
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by JohnMJ216 »

The area of Daytona Beach I was on had a 10MPH limit.

but it was fun

sand was packed down for the most part, but the soft spots between the packed traffic lanes and the seaturtle refuge area would let you slide a little, didn't get any crazy sideways action like in the mud but it does give that disconnected feeling.
yellowblaze
Scoobytruck Master

Post by yellowblaze »

Oops, maybe it was 10mph...it's been a few months!
Baja_Fisherman
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Baja_Fisherman »

Update:

I have been driving the Baja on the beach since September 15 and it has been doing great. The only problem is getting on and off at the access spots. The sand is soft with deep ruts because of the heavier SUVs and campers. As long as you air down, (15 to 18 psi ) you can get on.

Snorkeled
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Snorkeled »

I love the pics ! But that is one thing my baja will never play in or on, the beach. . . Salt water and Sand. . . I have heard to many horror stories about beach trips and the aftermath of what there vehicles go through.