General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by baja_gernaut »

Snorkeled wrote:
Skemcin wrote:## UPDATE ##

I've been talking to my partner and our fabricator and we've had to make the tough decision to do the Baja build next week - Sat. Feb. 25. We have one other product build that is near completion (while the Baja is at its beginning). Ideally, we like to have the end of one development project overlap the beginning of the next (no lag time between) but since the process to fabricate the bar is more efficient when a full day can be dedicated to it, our day is more productive if we wrap up the other project tomorrow morning and spend the following Saturday exclusively on the Baja.

For what is worth, this is the other project:

that's a top mounted cold air intake (for MAP cars only). We will finish this and begin production on it next week as we turn our attention back to the Baja development.

It's not bad news as our time line really doesn't change much and it gives me more time to find a back up.

Thanks in advance for your patience and understanding. If there are any questions or concerns please feel free to contact me.
How does it handle in Heavy Rain ? I like the idea but where does the water go. . .
since N/A's don't have a hood scoop, it is not an issue. But it looks like your baja has a opening therefore it wouldn't work for you. But it does looks pretty good with a clean clean engine bay:)
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

I'm leaning towards getting one. Just a few questions/suggestion, whatever bolts you use, please use stainless steel so they don't rust. How hard is it to take off the winch/ or cover it on salty New England roads? Since it's mounted lower has anyone researched what this does to the airbad sensors. I believe they are out side it's reach so in theory it shouldn't mess up crash dynamics incredibly.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Snorkeled wrote:How does it handle in Heavy Rain ? I like the idea but where does the water go. . .
I haven't driven it in "heavy" rain yet but rain typically doesn't fall sideways (in most areas) but it is no different than any other hood scoop, ram air design currently on the market. Most of the rain goes to the back of the hood scoop and will drip/fall behind the air box.
jrigby wrote:I may be able to make this work, keep us posted on a final deadline for a deposit.
Thanks!
Will do. As soon as a production date can be set, I'll post the deposit deadline. Thanks for tracking our progress - I will continue to provide updates as things develop.
baja_gernaut wrote:since N/A's don't have a hood scoop, it is not an issue. But it looks like your baja has a opening therefore it wouldn't work for you. But it does looks pretty good with a clean clean engine bay:)
Just for clarification, this intake should only be used with cars/trucks with hood scoops. It will work without a scoop but you'd be sucking hot air from the engine bay, not cool/cold air from outside the car. Since Subaru does things they way they do, a non-turbo owner could find a turbo hood or buy a hood scoop and install that if they wanted to go this route. Fort he time being, this product is only for MAP cars, but our plans do include creating a MAF intake pretty soon.
Cosmictech
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Cosmictech »

Howdy, I'm in mid-Michigan and my sister lives NW of Chicago. If push comes to shove she would absolutely love a visit from me. My Baja is an '06 Turbo with (I think) all options that were available and less than 50K miles. I vaguely remember an under-body cover starting behind the front bumper extending past the oil drain plug (I no longer change the oil myself).

Regards, Cosmictech
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Cosmictech wrote:Howdy, I'm in mid-Michigan and my sister lives NW of Chicago. If push comes to shove she would absolutely love a visit from me. My Baja is an '06 Turbo with (I think) all options that were available and less than 50K miles. I vaguely remember an under-body cover starting behind the front bumper extending past the oil drain plug (I no longer change the oil myself).

Regards, Cosmictech
PM Sent
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

An update coming later tonight - making a couple more phone calls....

If a "rock slider" or "nerf bar" where to be made for the Baja, which would you prefer:

Type A

Type B

Type C
Benhart21
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Benhart21 »

How on earth would that mount and actually be effective as a rocker guard without folding like a regular tube step? I only say that because I had mine on my buddy's lift yesterday for an oil change and general checkup, and while I was under there it just didn't seem that there is a way to mount it and be strong enough to protect the body with the weight of the car coming down on it. Maybe you see something I don't. Skepticism aside, I think the second one is the best, though it looks like its great at dirtying pants legs. The 3rd looks nice the way it is tucked so tightly, but I can see it's just a black nerf bar. The first seems useless with the steps since these cars aren't exactly hard to get in to.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

## UPDATE ##

Sorry for the little side track with the question about the nerf bars - still looking for feedback though and thanks for that initial response Benhart21, it's pretty much right along my train of though but I don't want to assume I know exactly what you guys want.

Alright, having said that, thanks to Cosmictech we officially have our build truck and it (and he) will be here tomorrow - that's Friday folks!!!! By the end of this weekend we anticipate having a finished product ready for your enjoyment. So, with that said, I will be posting pictures on the progress on Saturday and Sunday and later in the week when the first powder coated bar is made. The night of or after the official finished bar is completed, I will post ordering instructions. Depending on the timing, the link will be active for at least two weeks before it is closed so materials can be purchased and production can begin.

So, go have a beer (or two) and if you've got a second, please send a thank you to Cosmictech for taking the voyage out here to help us all out.

More to come....
jrigby
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by jrigby »

Type c.

The other's have steps, and while the baja has decent ground clearance, it's still not tall enough to need steps.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

jrigby wrote:Type c.

The other's have steps, and while the baja has decent ground clearance, it's still not tall enough to need steps.
Agreed. We got our first look under the truck tonight and we have a good game plan going into tomorrow's build. We have two approaches to the light bar / brush guard that we will have a better look at once the truck is on the lift - hadn't moved things around yet, we just pulled it in the shop and crawled under it. We also looked at the nerf bar idea. While the back has a very nice mounting point, the front doesn't quite follow suit. But, we talked through a pretty creative solution but I'll let the pictures talk when we get that far.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and can't wait to get some pictures posted.

Be sure to check back tomorrow evening.
RoverLander
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RoverLander »

Just a note. Big difference between a 'nerf bar' and a 'rock slider'. At least in my Land Rover experience. [smilie=cheeky-grin.gif]

Nerf Bars are what you see on most Suv's with or without a built in step. They don't typically provide any added protection to the vehicle and are not up to the task of off roading. Mearly eye candy for people not in the off road know in my opinion. They are like their namesake too soft and plyable for real use. Made from stainless steel, aluminum, or thin wall steel.

Rock sliders on the other hand are as the name implies disigned to protect the sills of the vehicle. Such as when high centered over rocks or other obstructions, potentially taking the entire weight of the vehicle to them. Quality rock sliders are typically made with a thicker wall and much harder steel such as that used in making you 2" reciever trailer hitch.

I'm intrested in protection... Not in looks the lower the profile the better. [smilie=asa.gif]

RoverLander
Last edited by RoverLander on Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

RoverLander wrote:Just a note. Big difference between a 'nerf bar' and a 'rock slider'. At least in my Land Rover experence. Nerf Bars are what you see on most Suv's with or without a built in step. They don't typically provide any added protection to the vehicle and are not up to the task of off roading. Mearly eye candy for people not in the off road know in my opinion. They are like their namesake too soft and plyable for real use.

Rock sliders on the other hand are as the name implies disigned to protect the sills of the vehicle. Such as when high centered over rocks or other obstructions, potentially taking the entire weight of the vehicle to them. Quality rock sliders are typically made with a thicker wall and much harder steel such as that used in making you 2" reciever trailer hitch.

I'm intrested in protection... Not in looks

RoverLander
Duly noted. As I talk with our fabricator that premise (protection/function over form) has always been at the root of our decision making. So that being said, would you expect it to look much different than the Type C image above?

Since you brought it up, I'll share what I eluded to in my previous post. Since there isn't much to mount on in the front, we were gonna look at running the light bar back pretty far, to bolt up to a crossbar that has a one or two bar crossing web to reinforce it as it supports the front section of the rock slider bar. This design would allow the sliders and the light bar to be purchased separately but work best when both installed.

Does that make sense? Got a clean picture of a "rock slider" that is along your train of thought?

EDIT - I see your pictures. Yes, nerf bars are fragile - thin wall steel. The Baja doesn't lend itself to giving a good string mounting point up front though.
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

Skemcin wrote:
RoverLander wrote:
Since you brought it up, I'll share what I eluded to in my previous post. Since there isn't much to mount on in the front, we were gonna look at running the light bar back pretty far, to bolt up to a crossbar that has a one or two bar crossing web to reinforce it as it supports the front section of the rock slider bar. This design would allow the sliders and the light bar to be purchased separately but work best when both installed.

Does that make sense? Got a clean picture of a "rock slider" that is along your train of thought?
Structurally the load dynamics would still have to go vertically into the vehicle. Running the brush bar that far back, unless it's solid hardened steel, I can't see how it wouldn't just bend and push into the unibody. That being said, running a fixed sub structure that far back, there goes your crumple zones. I'd be really scared to drive with that. I was on the fence about the normal bar, but that would put me out just for feedback.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

steven765 wrote:
Skemcin wrote:
RoverLander wrote:

Structurally the load dynamics would still have to go vertically into the vehicle. Running the brush bar that far back, unless it's solid hardened steel, I can't see how it wouldn't just bend and push into the unibody. That being said, running a fixed sub structure that far back, there goes your crumple zones. I'd be really scared to drive with that. I was on the fence about the normal bar, but that would put me out just for feedback.
Noted - thank you very much for the feedback, very much appreciated. We talked about crumple zones and air bag deployment during the Impreza light bar build and I know we'll do the same here. We only took a to minute look at the car while it was still on the ground - so this all stream of conscious thinking. So your input is great and very much inline with what are concerns are focused on.
Thank you.
RoverLander
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by RoverLander »

Found pics of a 2007 Forester with "side rails" (built like rock sliders to protect the sills, but being made of aluminum would tend to snag when going over sharp objects)
ImageImage

This is a picture of a Land Rover rock slider (notice the two holes, they serve as jack points for a high lift jack)

Ahh the difference between a car built fifty years ago and one built now. :oops: Thank you for bringing up safety. [smilie=coolup.gif] With that in mind I think i'm out too. Unless when I look under my Baja tomorrow in the daylight I come up with a alternate idea.

RoverLander