Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Winch

General talk about the Subaru Baja.

Moderator: mikenmel08

steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: Multi-Purpose Light/Brush Bar w/optional Skid Plate & Wi

Post by steven765 »

Are they etching the metal and pre-treating it really well to help minimize rust?
STI2NR
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by STI2NR »

Skemcin wrote:
STI2NR wrote:Just so you know. The above statement I made is true (been making them for four years).

You will notice if you click on the pictures that they link you to my putphoto page. You can check out the dates and times that I made each bar.

Also my design is similar not the same as the one gorilla is making and selling. On top of that I only use stainless steel or aluminum. I had problems in the past with mild or aluminized steel. Gorilla is producing an excellent looking piece and the fabrication appears top notch. I am glad a company stepped forward to help others who do not have the skills or the tools to create such works of art.

Unfortunately the only time my bars are for sale is when I create a new one to replace the existing one.

Keep up the great work! :D

BTW none of my designs were patented I just found it amusing that I came across this page way after I had built one and the designs were so similar it made me LOL.
No one ever denied that you have been making them for any number of years. I never denied or discredited anything about your work.

I am the founder of Gorilla Offroad Company and we are a legitimate, registered small business. I've done my research both online and in the patent library. I know you go by the handle "2.5 turbo hyped" on NASIOC and have posted plenty of pictures there. You've even caught some $hit from people for your "zombie killer" grappling hook that's on your rear facing winch. I take an enormous amount of pride in the work I do and I am equally thorough in my research and I just don't think joking about patents is ever an appropriate thing to do.

In any respect, you posting your images in this thread, in my opinion, is in poor taste. I'm not going to ask you or the moderator to remove them but I would simply suggest you take a little more time to think about your posts to be sure you avoid as much controversy as possible.

Respectfully,
Skemcin - Gorilla Offroad Company
Yeah nasioc is a bit "judgemental". Have you visted iwsti.com or igotasti.com ?

I bet you would gain some business there as I am always being pmed about making the push bars/rally bars/winch bars but I have a day job that does not allow me enough time to make them for others.

Might be a great niche to look into if you are looking for more business.

Just a thought.

Sean
USMC veteran 1993-2001
OR/WA licensed electrician/mechanic/welder/fabricator

:D
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

steven765 wrote:Are they etching the metal and pre-treating it really well to help minimize rust?
are you talking about the skidplate because it's supposed to be aluminumminumiin????? or I hope it is. I don't think anything else is etched but I am eager just like you to get the bar and installed.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

STI2NR wrote:Yeah nasioc is a bit "judgemental". Have you visted iwsti.com or igotasti.com ?

I bet you would gain some business there as I am always being pmed about making the push bars/rally bars/winch bars but I have a day job that does not allow me enough time to make them for others.

Might be a great niche to look into if you are looking for more business.

Just a thought.

Sean
USMC veteran 1993-2001
OR/WA licensed electrician/mechanic/welder/fabricator

:D
We've not registered on all the popular Subaru related sites yet as we do not want to spread ourselves too thin. Our short term focus is on those markets that have a more direct "off road" appeal - Impreza (rally), Baja, and Forester. I appreciate the input and will take it under advisement as we evaluate the markets to expand into.
steven765 wrote:Are they etching the metal and pre-treating it really well to help minimize rust?
baja_gernaut wrote:are you talking about the skidplate because it's supposed to be aluminumminumiin????? or I hope it is. I don't think anything else is etched but I am eager just like you to get the bar and installed.
I believe the etching question is with respect to the chromoly tubing - a process that would aid in giving the powder coating a better surface to adhere to when applied. This is more common with anodizing - a process used to finish aluminum to strengthen and inhibit corrosion. I will double check what process the powder coating is going through. The aluminum is not anodized, it is simply stock 6061 T6 aluminum plating.
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

yea i'm most worried about the tubing, i see that rust a lot. too bad you didn't use stainless.
baja_gernaut
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by baja_gernaut »

I learn somethin everyday here. I have been educamacated once again. Today's word is "etched" [smilie=damn.gif]
STI2NR
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by STI2NR »

steven765 wrote:yea i'm most worried about the tubing, i see that rust a lot. too bad you didn't use stainless.
I want to say that using stainless would easily add about 50-75% to the cost. It does on all of the projects I use stainless on versus mild steel or chro-mo.

Stainless is a bit heavier and less forgiving if you make a mistake i.e. bending.
steven765
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by steven765 »

STI2NR wrote:
steven765 wrote:yea i'm most worried about the tubing, i see that rust a lot. too bad you didn't use stainless.
I want to say that using stainless would easily add about 50-75% to the cost.
Who are you sourcing from?

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cf ... &top_cat=0

8' pipe of SS 304 for 53$
STI2NR wrote: Stainless is a bit heavier and less forgiving if you make a mistake i.e. bending.
Ah see that I didn't know.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Another way to look at this is to first understand the what the numbers mean - sorry if you already do but I figure its worth pointing out. We are using 1.25" .083 wall chromoly tubing. 1.25 measures the distance around the tube (diameter) and .083 measures the thickness of the metal used (wall). Chromoly and mild steel have about the same density but chromoly is stronger. The increased strength allows you to use a thinner walled material. That is where your weight savings is realized - up to 20 or 25% in roll cage applications.

As STI2NR points out, mild steel is more forgiving and will tend to bend before its welds break while chromoly (under the same extreme stress) would tend to break at the welds before it bends. We chose chromoly because of the weight savings and increased strength and for the remote fact that it would ever see the amount of stress to make it break (or bend if it were steel). The bend versus break is an age old debate that doesn't have a winner or a loser - that just comes down to perspective and/or personal preference (slightly influenced by the application it is being used).

Hope that helps a little too.
:)
Nickybots110
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Nickybots110 »

I'm not sure if it's to late to get in on this if it is I totally understand. If someone backs out or somehow have a extra let me know.
I'm interested in one with everything on it
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

Nickybots110 wrote:I'm not sure if it's to late to get in on this if it is I totally understand. If someone backs out or somehow have a extra let me know.
Thanks for finding us. We should have an extra bar - we typically try to make one or two to keep in stock. Let me see what we ended up with and get back to you - hopefully today.
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

@all
This batch of bars will be back from powder coating tomorrow - time to pack and ship this weekend!!!
Nickybots110 wrote:I'm not sure if it's to late to get in on this if it is I totally understand. If someone backs out or somehow have a extra let me know.
We do have an extra - I can give you it at this batch price if you like.
- Baja Bar
- Skid Plate
- Winch Mount
- Powder Coating is FREE
- Four Tabs across the top
- Two tabs on the outside bottom

Would be fully loaded (light tabs are no additional costs so you can arrange them as you wish).

Send me your details in PM and I'll get a quote out for you that will include shipping - unless you can pick up (Chicago, IL).
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

Hi,
Do you have any other extra bars? I finally have some money to spend on something besides bills, so if you have one available, I'm in.

Skemcin wrote:@all
This batch of bars will be back from powder coating tomorrow - time to pack and ship this weekend!!!
We do have an extra - I can give you it at this batch price if you like.
- Baja Bar
- Skid Plate
- Winch Mount
- Powder Coating is FREE
- Four Tabs across the top
- Two tabs on the outside bottom

Would be fully loaded (light tabs are no additional costs so you can arrange them as you wish).

Send me your details in PM and I'll get a quote out for you that will include shipping - unless you can pick up (Chicago, IL).
Skemcin
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Skemcin »

anarchy1024 and Nickybots110

If both of you want a bar, please let me know or submit a deposit. Right now I know for certain we have one(1). There is likely enough material to build another, I'd just need to know before the beginning of next week - we start a Mustang cage and would like to get the additional bar done by then, should it be needed.

##### MAKE DEPOSIT HERE #####

##### SUBMIT OPTIONS HERE #####
anarchy1024
Scoobytruck Master

Post by anarchy1024 »

I just sent the deposit.

The options I selected in the second link are the preferred options, but if the fully-loaded bar you mentioned earlier is already complete, ready for purchase, and it's not committed to anyone else, I'll take that one with the mentioned featured.

Thanks

Skemcin wrote:anarchy1024 and Nickybots110

If both of you want a bar, please let me know or submit a deposit. Right now I know for certain we have one(1). There is likely enough material to build another, I'd just need to know before the beginning of next week - we start a Mustang cage and would like to get the additional bar done by then, should it be needed.

##### MAKE DEPOSIT HERE #####

##### SUBMIT OPTIONS HERE #####