Steering Wheel Vibration when braking > ~60mph

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Steering Wheel Vibration when braking > ~60mph

Post by davecoon13 »

If I tap the brakes at highway speed (at or above about 60mph), the steering wheel vibrates slightly. I'm told this means I could have warped rotors. Does this make sense to anybody here? Below 60mph, tapping the brakes doesn't seem to do anything to the steering wheel. Are the front rotors warped? Maybe the car is just getting older.

I just hit 70K miles last week, and I think I am probably on my 2nd or 3rd set of front rotors (resurfaced even more times).

I have a 3 year alignment guarantee so I had the front end realigned but it did not seem to help. I am guessing I need to get my front brake pads and or rotors replaced. Any thoughts?

I am probably on my 3rd set of front brake pads. I don't think I have ever had the rear brakes replaced. How long before the rear brakes should be replaced? There is lots of stop and go traffic here in the Washington DC suburbs.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
"Capped" with A.R.E. Topper
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Steering Wheel Vibration when braking > ~60mph

Post by YBajaSteve »

when u have to brake hard from a high speed, does it continue to shake until u slow down? cuz I just replaced the rotors on my wifes Escape since we were having bad shaking from cruising till about 40, then it would stop. I bet urs are just slightly warped so the effect isnt as bad. yet.. i know there are other things that could make ur car shake while braking tho....
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

As soon as I take my foot off the brake, the vibraiton stops. It is only when pressing the brakes at high speed.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Post by YBajaSteve »

only while pressing the brake pedal is what i meant. I bet the rotors are warped.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
davecoon13
Scoobytruck Master

Post by davecoon13 »

Fixed $902 later. New Front Rotors and Pads. New Rear rotors and new rear drum brakes.

Next up, new tires will soon be needed. I just recently hit 70,100 miles and this was the first time I had to replace the rear brakes or rotors.
Dave Coon
www.nflcrimes.com
SilverStone Metallic
2003 Baja Sport 4EAT