Automatic Transmission Cooler

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

MikeWoodBooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Automatic Transmission Cooler

Post by MikeWoodBooks »

Has anyone actually installed an automatic transmission cooler on a Baja? I saw a post where the author was talking about what should be done, but has anyone actually gone ahead and done it? If so, any information on cooler brand, hose plumbing, etc would help. I will be pulling a trailer with my 2003 nonturbo Baja. Thanks.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Automatic Transmission Cooler

Post by bulwnkl »

I have an '05 turbo. It has a factory A/T cooler. I thought that all model year Bajas did, but perhaps that's not correct? Anyway, the cooler system on mine routes ATF into the bottom radiator tank, and the heat exchange takes place there. Honestly, it ends up being an ATF heater more than a cooler for lots of people (I'd say most people) most of the time. That's good, because it gets the ATF up to temp quicker, which makes the fluid work better and improves mpg slightly. If it actually heats it all the way up to 180, though (just for example), then it's shortening the fluid's life some. I'm not sure it'll heat it that far up, but maybe it will.

I had a dedicated aftermarket cooler on mine for a while, when we used to have a camper trailer to tow. I just went to U-Haul and bought their cooler and install. I did this partly for convenience and partly because they have a very capable installer at the one particular U-Haul in town that I go to.

They flat-out refused to install it how I wanted it done, which was to route ATF through their external radiator cooler first, then into the lower radiator tank, then back to the tranny. So, I ran it solo. That worked fine, and I never had any issues pulling a trailer that I believe was definitely over Subaru's rated trailer towing max. Never took it to a scale to verify weight.

I don't have pics, and I've taken it out since we sold the trailer. Honestly, though, even with just the stock A/T cooler I could overheat the truck from towing but the A/T temp light would never go on. It'll work just fine if you want one on, though. Nothing wrong with the U-Haul units at all.
MikeWoodBooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MikeWoodBooks »

thanks. i hadn't though about uhaul. i'll give them a call.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

I did on my '03 automatic. Asked the SM at my dealership (who I know and trust) what brand to get and he said it doesn't really matter, more important is the size. Anyway, bottom line is I bought one online for about $50, had the dealer install it for another $50 and it's functioned perfectly for years.....no issues at all. If you want to mess around installing it yourself, it isn't that hard to do, but having done a few over the years, it was worth the $50 to me not to have to mess with it. Good luck....
MikeWoodBooks
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by MikeWoodBooks »

I talked to my local Subaru dealership and they couldn't understand what i was talking about. They kept saying that it already had one since the transmission fluid is routed through the radiator. Went to an independent service center that i normally use and they said it would be a lot of fabrication work, but they could do it for about $500. thanks to a previous responder though, i went to Uhaul. they said it would only be $115 (out the door price). Can't beat that. Thanks, mike