Canoe Rack Question

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

bajapete
Scoobytruck Lurker

Canoe Rack Question

Post by bajapete »

Has anyone had any luck carrying a canoe on a Baja? I have the factory installed roof rack only and am trying to find a solution that won't involve using a trailer. However, the factory roof rack does not allow for a very wide boat and I am having trouble finding a solid choice for a replacement roof rack that would provide some more width. I am also considering a rack to plug into a trailer hitch (would need to install the hitch), which would allow me to position the canoe further back and have a narrower part of the canoe resting on the roof rack. A similar solution would be to install i) my own rack system into the truck bed using using the embedded 2x4 slots, or ii) purchase something similar, if available (so far, the only one I found that looks like it could fit in the baja truck bed cannot be adjusted for height and towers above the factory roof rack height). Any thoughts, prior experience, advice? Thanks for your input.
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Canoe Rack Question

Post by YBajaSteve »

welcome to the forum! Could you add some location info for us? State or Region would be great, thanks!
First thing that came to mind was this guy, Corgimas, he seems to have quite an assortment of racks and stuff, he might be able to help you . hopefully he'll chime in here or just send him a PM.

i understand thats a Kayak but maybe hes done canoes too :)
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Post by canuck37 »

bajapete wrote:Has anyone had any luck carrying a canoe on a Baja? I have the factory installed roof rack only and am trying to find a solution that won't involve using a trailer. However, the factory roof rack does not allow for a very wide boat and I am having trouble finding a solid choice for a replacement roof rack that would provide some more width. I am also considering a rack to plug into a trailer hitch (would need to install the hitch), which would allow me to position the canoe further back and have a narrower part of the canoe resting on the roof rack. A similar solution would be to install i) my own rack system into the truck bed using using the embedded 2x4 slots, or ii) purchase something similar, if available (so far, the only one I found that looks like it could fit in the baja truck bed cannot be adjusted for height and towers above the factory roof rack height). Any thoughts, prior experience, advice? Thanks for your input.

Yakima makes a set of towers that fit the Baja just fine and you can pick any length of cross bar you want. The only issue I have with that arrangement is that the spacing between the bars is so short that you have to secure the bow and stern to the bumpers with rope for security. I have a 15 ft. Wenonah canoe that rides just fine using that arrangement. Probably cost you about $200 to get it set up.....
oldstove
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by oldstove »

Does anyone know if this would work...along with some cross bars of course.
http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-system ... lgrab.aspx
bajapete
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajapete »

Thanks for your thoughts/suggestions, everyone. Actually, I installed that Yakima Rack that oldstove asked about - with 48" crossbars. Just purchased the canoe today and the rack works great (with 4 foam blocks and 4 tie-down straps)! Happy trails from the Charles River Watershed. [smilie=666.gif]
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

hey pete (this darthpete?)
yes the 48's work just fine...i am actually looking to pop up to the 58" bars since i want to be able to carry two long boats as well as a pair of SUP boards up there.....

I am also considering a hitch with the yakima dry dock as well....be safer for long boats too...

when did you get your baja?

good winds

rob
(thief/corgimas depending on which kayaking forum)
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
oldstove
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by oldstove »

bajapete wrote:Actually, I installed that Yakima Rack that oldstove asked about - with 48" crossbars.
So Pete, were those racks a plug and play install? I'm looking to do the same as you. Thanks.
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

my rack is 48" Yakima bars and the EZ Riders http://www.yakima.com/racks/rack-system ... rider.aspx

The thing i like best about the EZ riders vs the Rail grab is that the EZ riders are taller....gets the bars up a little higher more space underneath to pass a tie down strap to hold boats ladders etc in place...

There is a folder of pictures here (http://picasaweb.google.com/corgimas/Ba ... 5Lq44fBVQ#) all about how my rack is configured.
Kites Kayaks & Corgis
txrhubarb
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by txrhubarb »

Greetings. I know it's a bit late, but still relevant. Since I'm waiting on an engine to be put in my Baja I thought I'd share my pictures. I might try a "goalpost" rack that fits my hitch adapter or some adjustable sawhorses in the bed for trailer-less canoe transport.

This is a 1979 Browning 16' square stern aluminum canoe on top of my 2003 Baja Sport 5-speed.

I used a 4' metal fence pipe wrapped in a carpet of the same width and put it behind the tire stays on a double yakima bike rack my brother got from some new Outback.

I used server shipping foam (very dense industrial foam) to support it on the bed extender.

The foam compressed and kept it off the extender, but I think just a few of those canoe-made foam blocks would have done the trick

Now I've got a trailer:

I might still try to get a ladder rack with a hull roller or winch to forego the trailer, but right now I got bigger priorities. If anyone has a used Baja engine near DFW, Texas I will be needing one!
corgimas
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by corgimas »

i am usually carrying 17' long kayaks or 12' SUP boards on my rack...i did finally get a chance to pop on wider Yakima bars and that is helping (# of hulls-wise)...
i have entertained the idea of a Yakima drydock (the hitch mounted bar at the ass end of the vehicle....but i have not yet had the time and cash yet ot put a hitch on....
i would in the long run like to have a small MUT trailer for the kayaks and boards.....just takes money...

but looks like it worked! i am not certain if i would do that for long drive or highway speeds but tooling about that would work great...

i have also thought about the pickup tailgate surfboard foam pieces before.....where the surfboard foam holder is strapped around the tailgate....not certain if that would work for us.....but curious...
Kites Kayaks & Corgis