Front Diff is going

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Front Diff is going

Post by gifters »

my front differential is going... 2003 Baja, 61000 miles and the front diff needs to be replaced.... over two grand to rebuild it, more than that to buy a used one with 100k miles on it.... Subaru doesn't sell new ones unless they're attached to the Tranny... gonna contact Subaru Corporate tomorrow because its less than 6 months / 1K miles out of warranty.

I guess I'm in the suck.

Dealer had never seen a front diff go out before 150K miles... never
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: Front Diff is going

Post by YBajaSteve »

wow i feel for you man! i hope that doesnt happen to me anytime soon, im about to break 60k this month ! Let us know what happens!
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

The front differential is bad?!? I've never even heard of that happening before. Something was either built or assembled VERY wrong, or there was a serious fluids of maintenance issue. That's just crazy!!
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Yeah, got it serviced at 30K

Called SoA today, long wait for a short conversation, Rep got information he needed and will be following up with the dealership today. Never made a warranty claim on our Gold+ Warranty plan, purchased 5 Subarus new, I'm hopeful we'll get this taken care of. Best case scenario get a new tranny/front diff. Otherwise its probably rebuild the old diff, but who knows if the defect will remain and cause problems early on again.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Well I call Wednesday evening after I hadn't heard. The CS rep that took my initial call was off for the evening. So I called Thursday morning, talked with my rep... the Supervisor assigned to my case is in a conference in Texas so my Rep was going to reassign it to another supervisor and discuss the case then let me know what was going on by the end of the business day... I never did get a phone call. I'd appreciate an update, its not like he's a CS Rep for Toyota.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

They tore it apart yesterday, the pinion bearing is dead. They're going to replace it and the two side bearings as well cost estimated for $1060.
gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by gifters »

Picked up my car last night, problem solved, due too my specific relationship with Subaru (purchase history) Gold+ Warranty Purchased that had never been used and the mileage and time from purchase, Subaru covered over 50% of of the repair cost. I'm pretty satisfied with the outcome. Now I need to finish my 60K service, I ordered NGK IX spark plugs and a K&N air filter this morning. I need to find a good spark plug socket and hopefully installation won't give me too much trouble.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Im really glad it at least turned out over 50% ok.