Lowering my 05 Baja

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Ti Pit
Scoobytruck Contributer

Lowering my 05 Baja

Post by Ti Pit »

Hello Guys

I've used the search function and have found very little information regarding this however I know it's somewhere on here.

I have a 05 Turbo Baja, the hight is perfect for winter however I don't need it that high in the summer.

I wan't to lower it for summer use. I know about the single company that makes $600 lowering springs for the car however I was wondering if there was another option.

Would a lowered suspension from a Legacy GT work on our cars? Would I be able to buy legacy shocks, lowering springs and top plates and use that suspension as a working summer set up?

Any idea's are appreciated! Up here in Canada not much info is available for our Baja's.
05 Baja Turbo stick shift :D
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Lowering my 05 Baja

Post by speedymatt »

sounds like your looking for an adjustable setup like the Megan coilovers or the 03 suspension. i'm currently looking into the differences between the 03 and later suspensions, whether it is a spring difference or that there is extra spacers on the frame in later years. either way it should be a matter removing the spacers or swaping springs. i personally want mine higher than it is now in 03 trim.
Ti Pit
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Ti Pit »

I've seen the coil over set up on ebay in the past but it's not really what I'm looking for since I don't want to go all out on it + Even though many people have them on their cars here adjustable coil over suspensions are actually illegal here in Quebec so I would not want to get in any extra trouble because of it.

I'd like to keep the stock baja suspension set up for winter use so keeping the stock springs, shock and top plates together would be a big plus.

If I could get my hands on a set of Legacy GT KYB shocks which should be a bit stiffer then the stockers on th Baja, along with Legacy GT drop springs which are far less expensive then Baja drop springs and use normal top plates I would be happy. Cost wise I'm sure I'd be saving a lot and I'd be able to switch from one set up to the other easily from summer to winter without having a really ruff ride. Now the question here is ... would it fit?

There is another Turbo baja in my province and it is lowered however the owner does not want to reveal his secret, according to my local subaru club this set up "should" work but no one has a Baja and can confirm that it does haha.
05 Baja Turbo stick shift :D
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

well good luck. just know everytime you swap the springs and shocks (even as a whole unit) it will require an alignment at $40-$80 a pop. i guess you could etch the alinment bolts and try and get it close, but if your wrong you can add a set of tires to the costs. of course with the coilovers everytime you change the height youll need an alignment. my advice find a height you can live with year round and stick to it.