speaker problem

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

speaker problem

Post by Buck Rogers »

The drivers side speakers have stopped working in the Baja. The tweeter has some sound coming from it if I adjust the balance all the way to the left, but no sound from the main speakers (front and rear ) on the drivers side. I have the Subaru sub, and I took the radio out and by-passed the sub just to rule it out. I also checked for loose connections, the only thing I haven't done is take the door panels off. Anyone else ever have this kind of problem? I'm not against replacing the radio with an aftermarket brand, but that is kinda extreme if there might be a simpler fix.

Buck
YBajaSteve
All-Mighty Scoobytruck Admin

Re: speaker problem

Post by YBajaSteve »

had the same problem in mine, it was a short some where cuz it would just come on again randomly once and awhile. I ended up running all new wire for all the speakers, so I knew the problem would be fixed. it was a royal pain. but the end result was nice. i replaced all the speakers and head unit and it sounds great now.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Im having a similar problem as well. Plan to eventually take the door apart, maybe I should look into wiring as well.
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

Taking the door panel is not too hard. Just have to remove like 2 screws for the arm rest. The trickiest part is removing the inner door handle trim; be sure to have a very small straight-blade screw driver.

It can be done. I've removed my door trim several times doing dynamat and replacing speakers.
BAJAMediC
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by BAJAMediC »

DAMMIT i knew this was a common problem, my driver side speakers are very weak/not working... is it worth just rewiring them? argggggg....... is there an easy fix?
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

Well I thought about this for awhile, and I concluded that If Im going to spend the money on a new headunit, to have things like bluetooth and Ipod support, Im going to want decent speakers in there, and im not going to put nice speakers in if I know there is a problem with the stock wiring. I ended up installing the new head unit to see if that would fix the problem. It didnt.. So then I tore up my doors and sills, installed new wiring, and never looked back. Now I can have piece of mind knowing exactly what kind of situation is under the carpet connecting my speakers :D Ive had no problems since.
Check out more pics!<<<<<< Cardomain Page. *******SOLD THE BAJA*********** But im still around, PM me if urgent!
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

In the process of rewiring, did you notice a problem area where it was shorted? I will probably dig into this when the weather warms a bit.

Buck
YBajaSteve

Post by YBajaSteve »

actually no, since the stock wiring is all tightly wove into the large strand that runs along the door panels, i didnt even bother trying to trace it all the way thru the maze and up to the Head Unit. the parts of the wiring I did see looked fine to me, nothing caught my eye.
Buck Rogers
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by Buck Rogers »

Dammit! :x I hate wiring, but I'll give it a whirl once it warms up. The funny thing is, mine started acting up shortly after I had the car detailed. Go figure :roll: