$350.00 for a brake job????

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

klapool
Scoobytruck Contributer

$350.00 for a brake job????

Post by klapool »

I called my local subaru service center and was quoted $350 for 4 sets of pads.

I have always heard that Subarus were easy to work on but till this point have never had an oppertunity to do so.

The first wheel was the "Getting to know" wheel and the other three flew by. If I had known what I was doing to begin with I could have been done in less than 30 minutes!

$350 for this????

WOW!!!
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: $350.00 for a brake job????

Post by speedymatt »

the stealership is nuts for what they charge. the hardest part of the brake job is getting those dang metal wire clips to stay on when you put the new pads in.
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

That's a stupid amount of $$ just to replace your pads. Unless that involves replacing the rotors too, if they replaced all 4 rotors I'd say that would sound about right.

Depending on if your brakes cause your vehicle to shimmy or how old your rotors are you could just have them turned which would be a lot cheaper than replacing them.

I've always done my own brakes; it's very easy to do.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

even if you needed rotors it would be cheaper to get a set of cross drilled or slotted ones and do it yourself.
moonzie
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by moonzie »

speedymatt wrote:even if you needed rotors it would be cheaper to get a set of cross drilled or slotted ones and do it yourself.
Agreed. That's why I always do my own brakes. Not hard to do, but I suppose for those who feel less technically inclined, it's not something you want to screw up eh?
beekaybee555
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by beekaybee555 »

as a mechanic, I found that it is absolutely mandatory to grind the metal down a little on the rear pads where they fit into the sliders before installing them...they WILL rust up in the sliders and freeze and wear the pads down in less than a year.....this is from personal experience on my vehicle and I have installed thousands of pads on other cars....50 dollar lesson for wasted set of pads but I figured others could learn from my "mistake"

as for $350 for a brake job, unless rotors are replaced, then that is way out of line...and I wouldn't be surprised if $350 was for only the front OR the rear......