Alarm / Remote Starter?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

BajaCanuck
Scoobytruck Lurker

Alarm / Remote Starter?

Post by BajaCanuck »

Greetings All,

Just getting ready to install an after-market remote starter in my 2003 5-speed Baja. The Baja wiring info I found states, for arm and disarm, "arm/disarm with OEM remote only".

Is there actually a security system in these guys? I see no info on it in the owner's manual, so I'm a little confused.

Thanks!
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Alarm / Remote Starter?

Post by speedymatt »

from what i understand subaru was doing standard keyless and the alarm was a dealer upgrade. i'm looking at doing this myself. what starter are you looking at? i'm looking at the VPA 81252 or the Avistart 4003. hit the lock button three times and she fires.

with a 5sp you need to be careful! first the clutch safety would need to be disabled and then you need to make sure your car is in neutral everytime you get out of it. my son loves to play with the buttons on the remote and even with the starter i would let him because i know the car isn't going anywhere. i would think twice about the install on a stick.
BajaCanuck
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaCanuck »

Hey Matt, thanks for your reply.

Yep, I hear you on the 5-speed. The unit I've picked up is a ProStart 2-way. I went to have my "regular guy" do the install for me, but as soon as he saw it's a manual he refused the job. Seems the ProStarts are actually old, recalled, refurbished AutoStarts that a Canadian hardware chain has picked up, repackaged and resold. It's a bad combo: I'm told that their safety system weak, and about 10% will literally "AutoStart", that is start running un-prompted.

After some discussion, I came to the conclusion that I'd have to both leave her in gear with the parking brake off and both safeties would have to fail for catastrophe to happen. Call me a fool (and I wouldn't blame you), but at the ($200 off) $60 sale price for a 2-way system (long range, plus the car lets you know whether or not it's successfully started) I'm willing to take that chance. An installer, on the other hand, would be playing the odds with every system he installs.

So why do it? Money's tight and I have a 1/4 mile hike to the end of my unploughed "driveway" all winter. I'll park her uphill with the risks in mind. Arriving at a toasty car is worth it to me, but I don't recommend it.

Your choices both sound good... I like the slave systems, sounds like a simple install. Wish it was an option for me. :P

Good luck, and thanks again!
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

if you want to wake up and walk out to a toasty car, why not put in an engine heater and an electric blanky....

the engine heater makes the motor warm enough to make for heat pretty quickly and the electric blanky laid over the driver's seat makes for a warm seat and will by default somewhat warm up the cabin a bit and both need just a simple extension cord to power and won't mess with any of the cars' electronics and you can put the cord on a 4X4 driven into the ground as a point to park by all the time.

simplicity!
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

BajaCanuck wrote:It's a bad combo: I'm told that their safety system weak, and about 10% will literally "AutoStart", that is start running un-prompted.
uh what do i say to that. :?
BajaCanuck wrote:Call me a fool (and I wouldn't blame you)...

So why do it? Money's tight and I have a 1/4 mile hike to the end of my unploughed "driveway" all winter. I'll park her uphill with the risks in mind. Arriving at a toasty car is worth it to me, but I don't recommend it.
FOOL! :lol: I can see your problem but i just couldn't do it, with that said 20ft to my car is way different than a 1/4mi. Good luck! and heres hoping yours isn't one that autostarts.
BajaCanuck
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaCanuck »

Zooom:
I see your simplicity and raise you my own: My 1/4 mile driveway and the home it's attached to are about a mile from the closest power line. Love your way of thinking, but that's a mighty long extension cord!

Matt:
Thanks for your wishes. Here's hoping that if I do get a bum model, it'll act up in a delightfully safe scenario and I'll just be able to swap out the box!
twheats1
Scoobytruck Contributer

Post by twheats1 »

I wouldn't worry about it starting in gear and moving with the parking brake set.
Last winter I ran through some water and had the parking brakes literally freeze to the drums. It took 2300 rpm to get the car to move!
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

BajaCanuck wrote:Zooom:
I see your simplicity and raise you my own: My 1/4 mile driveway and the home it's attached to are about a mile from the closest power line. Love your way of thinking, but that's a mighty long extension cord!
get a trencher and a big ass roll of Romex cable with a GFI socket custum mounted in the post and tap the whole thing into an existing circuit from the house and leave it permanantly out there. Doing it that way you have a power source right there on hand if and when you ever need to work on the car right at the parking spot then, and if you want to justify it a little more with the wife or landloard or whatever, make the post a place for an outdoor light for right there.
speedymatt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by speedymatt »

Zooom wrote:get a trencher and a big ass roll of Romex cable with a GFI socket custum mounted in the post and tap the whole thing into an existing circuit from the house and leave it permanantly out there. Doing it that way you have a power source right there on hand if and when you ever need to work on the car right at the parking spot then, and if you want to justify it a little more with the wife or landloard or whatever, make the post a place for an outdoor light for right there.
I like this suggestion, simple safe and realitively cheap.
Zooom
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Zooom »

BTW....just a weird thought, but makes you think the remote starter is going to be able to send the signal 1/4 mile?

most I've seen work best when you are within a 100ft...and you are talking over 1300 feet there boss.....just sayin'...
BajaCanuck
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaCanuck »

Sorry for my absence... been stuck under my dash messing with this remote starter. ;)

All hooked up, but seem to be having trouble finding the right door pin wire. Found a suggestion to use the pink/black at the passenger door kick panel, but it's not working for me. Anyone have the wiring diagrams for this beast?

@Zoom:
I'm still liking your ideas, but you misunderstood. I live in the middle of the wilderness, about a mile from the closest power line. I'll keep the trencher in mind, though, if ever I want to steal electricity. ;)
And about the range: you're right, standard remotes would only work within sight. The 2-ways, on the other hand, pump it up a notch: this model proclaims a 2000' range. I never got quite that in my old car (same model starter), but about 1500' I could count on.
BajaCanuck
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaCanuck »

WaHoo!

Starter installed and running. In case anyone else needs it, here's the best info I found for the wiring of our Bajas:
http://64.85.6.121/diagrams/printpage.a ... &MakeID=39

I didn't bother with wiring the unit to the horn, since I hate that loud noise whenever someone locks their doors, but I wouldn't mind keeping that factory lock/unlock beep I had. Does anyone know where I can tap into the wiring for that?