Turbo going or gone, need help!

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

argh6
Scoobytruck Lurker

Turbo going or gone, need help!

Post by argh6 »

Hey guys, looking for a little technical advise. My '04 Baja Turbo has begun to whine really bad when under load, and my dealer says the turbo is blown. So I'm turning to the board for some knowledge and advise!

1. The stock turbo is a TD04, right?
2. Can it be rebuilt?
3. Can any other turbo be a direct replacement?
4. Where is a good place to purchase a new turbo (or rebuilt, etc.)?

I have plenty of mechanical experience and will be doing it myself, I just need some info to get me started! Thanks!

BTW, I'm going to cross post this over on NASIOC also...
-Jerry!
-'04 Turbo
-'03 R6
- http://www.TI2TT.com
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Turbo going or gone, need help!

Post by bulwnkl »

I'm sure NABISCO flooded you with responses, but here's mine:

Yes, the Baja uses a TD-04.

No one in North America can (or at least is willing to) verify for certain whether the Baja's turbo's internals are the same as anyone else's or not. Most NABISCO-philes will say that it's identical to others (WRX, IIRC?), but the compressor assembly number is different. No one _anywhere_ that I've been able to find has a decode chart for this compressor. Frankly, it would make excellent sense that the Baja's 2.5 would have a somewhat different compressor wheel than the 2.0 WRX.

I'm guessing this is not exactly helpful to you, but it's all I have. Sorry.

P.S. Yes, your turbo can easily be rebuilt. See the paragraph above for reference material re: dealing with the rebuilders when you're talking to them about what needs to go inside the housing.