The Front Wheel Drive Fuse

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

childs_br
Scoobytruck Lurker

The Front Wheel Drive Fuse

Post by childs_br »

Does anyone pull out the fuse to take it out of all wheel drive for gas mileage? I have heard it is not good for it and have heard it is ok to do it. i was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. I have never done it so i was curious if it was ok to do it in the summer months.
twheats1
Scoobytruck Contributer

Re: The Front Wheel Drive Fuse

Post by twheats1 »

childs_br wrote:Does anyone pull out the fuse to take it out of all wheel drive for gas mileage? I have heard it is not good for it and have heard it is ok to do it. i was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this question. I have never done it so i was curious if it was ok to do it in the summer months.

I don't know if it is ok to drive for an extended period of time or not. I doubt you will get much of an increase in gas mileage if you try. The Baja still WEIGHS the same, (minus the weight of the fuse :lol: ) and you still have the same rolling and air resistance. Disabling the AWD means that, now instead of the engine driving the entire drivetrain, the rear tires are driving one half of it. The frictional losses of the drivetrain will be very close to the same.
childs_br
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by childs_br »

From what i just read it is only used on automatic transmissions so that leaves me out i have a standard :(
jseabolt
Scoobytruck Master

Post by jseabolt »

I'll have to check my owner's manual but I could swear I read that if the spare tire was mounted to pull this fuse no matter if the car is a 5 speed or automatic. It says the odd size wheel/tire will damage the AWD system.
http://s222.photobucket.com/albums/dd148/turbofiat/

2003 Subaru Baja
1968 Ford Fairlane 500
1980 Fiat 124 Spider (turbocharged)
1987 Yugo GV (1500 turbocharged)
1981 Trabant 601 S
1987 Citroen 2CV
1977 MGB