Front differential dipstick???

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

bajaninja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Front differential dipstick???

Post by bajaninja »

I can't find it! I see where its "supposed" to be in the owners manual but can't locate it. . .I was doing some maint. checks after purchasing my baja last week. . .I can find everything BUT this dipstick :(
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Front differential dipstick???

Post by bulwnkl »

Potentially silly question:
Is your Baja an A/T or an M/T? Only A/Ts have the dipstick, because M/Ts' front diffs share the sump with the rest of the transmission.

If you have an A/T, the dipstick is right where it's supposed to be-- Right (passenger in N. America) side of the transmission case, between the firewall and engine. If yours is a turbo, it can be hard to see at first because it's down there a ways and the intercooler can kinda block your view.
bajaninja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaninja »

Thanks! I actually found it a few minutes ago! It was easier to spot outside in the daylight rather than in my garage last night
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

Glad you found it! Fluid level and condition look ok?
bajaninja
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by bajaninja »

:( I haven't checked it yet. Had a bit of a challenge tonight. . .wanted to change the transmission fluid and filter (BTW is there a filter in the pan also?) since I didn't know when the last time anything was done. . .My owners manual said the capacity was 9.8 quarts so that's what I put in it! LOL! little did I realize that's only if the torque converter is drained! I caught on pretty quick and drained it back down to the proper level ($21 later lol)---what a pain in the @##! At least I know what I have now. The only fluids left to check are the differentials, i'll do that this weekend- I know it isn't leaking ANYTHING so if i'm at the correct levels do you think I should just enjoy driving it? I also read in the owners manual you shouldn't mix brands of gear oil--- so if i'm up to capacity maybe I should leave it alone?
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I believe there is a screen of sorts inside the tranny, but don't mess with it. Change the spin-on filter on the outside of the tranny if you want. I did, but I know of people who don't. Sorry about you wasting all that ATF. It is important to get it to the proper level, though! You're clear on how to properly check the level, right? The owner's manual will tell you, but basically the fluid needs to be hot and you have to have cycled the tranny through all the gears. If you don't follow the procedure, you'll have an incorrect fluid level, and that's not a great idea for an A/T.

I am a person who will drain nearly all fluids if/when I buy a used car. Engine, tranny, and diff(s) all get changed, and sometimes I'll even change/flush the coolant and brake fluid. Depends upon age, miles, etc.

I doubt you'll ever see a Subaru differential fail from wearing out, even if the oil is never, ever changed. Nevertheless, I change that fluid. I think it's best to change diffy fluid after the first couple to few thousand miles of a car's life. After that, if it's not working hard (like a farm pickup or a tow vehicle), I might never change the diffs again, or at least not for 30 - 60k miles.

To each his own.