Anyone replaced drive belts?

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

gifters
Scoobytruck Contributer

Anyone replaced drive belts?

Post by gifters »

Has anyone replaced the "drive belts"

my dealer said my aren't horrible but are cracking and I'm wondering if this is something I good give a go at.
canuck37
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Anyone replaced drive belts?

Post by canuck37 »

I replaced the serpentine belt at the 60k service interval even though it was in pretty good shape still - not something I would tackle personally, given all the functions that the 1 belt does and the need for precise tension settings, etc....back in "the day" it was no big deal for me to change the different belts, but once the switch to a single belt to do pretty much everything came along, I decided it was worth the effort to have someone who knew what was needed do it right.......

Don't wait for it to "go" to replace it, because you will be dead in the water since everything stops, not just one function like in the past with multiple belts. Just my $0.02 worth....
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

I replaced one of the two drive belts last year (can't seem to recall which just now). It was a piece of cake. OTOH, I also replaced the timing belt myself, which was a pain, but not the worst thing I've done. I mention that just so you'll know what I'm willing to tackle, so you can judge for yourself whether you want to try the drive belt(s).
Senomar
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by Senomar »

I replace my timing belts about a year and 1/2 ago, I bought a timing belt kit on ebay and replace everything. It cost me around 200.00 with shipping.
Buying it separetly the factory parts it will cost you dearly. I didn't installed it, it cost me around 150.00
lpcard
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by lpcard »

There's a kit for the timing belt? What comes in the kit?
Timing belt, accessory belts, spark plugs, wires, and all the fluids cost me less than $150 at the local parts store. The biggest pain about changing the timing belt was finding a strap wrench that wouldn't break when I tried to loosen the crank bolt. I finally had to get a chain wrench and wrap the pulley in duct tape to keep from marring it up. Doing everything took a full day, that includes changing the gear oil in the standard transmission and in the rear diff.
bulwnkl
Scoobytruck Master

Post by bulwnkl »

There are different kits. Some include the belt and idler pulleys, some also include a water pump and gasket (water pump is driven by the timing belt), some have better parts in them, etc.

The best (quality + price) flea-bay supplier for the timing belt kits is a pseudonym for Triangle Auto Parts in Yakima, WA. I've forgotten the flea-bay name they use, but they're a good business. Been around a long time, and sell quality parts at a good price in their kits.