Stuck Driver Seat

Technical Discussions - Got a mechanical problem?

Moderator: bajabob

BajaMama67
Scoobytruck Lurker

Stuck Driver Seat

Post by BajaMama67 »

I am so happy to have found your website! I have a 2003 Baja, that I absolutely LOVE!! I have had no problems whatsoever with it until about a month ago. The driver seat has slowly gone kaput. I can't think of anything that I may have done to damage the darned thing but I don't want to spend $$ taking it to the shop to have it checked out. Hubby has changed the fuses but alas, no luck. If anyone out there in Scoobyland can help, I sure would appreciate it! I am starting to get charlie horses in my right calf when I drive and that's not a good thing!
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Re: Stuck Driver Seat

Post by Sabber »

So Im assuming that you have power seats?
BajaMama67
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaMama67 »

Yes, it is the driver seat. There is nothing in the vehicle manual about it so any help would be appreciated. Thanks for responding.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

Im no technician by any means, but since you say that it has SLOWLY gone kaput, I am lead to believe that it was a gradual thing rather than a one day it stopped working thing. Could you give us any more details about how it stopped working? do some functions still work? did some functions stop working before others? etc. Might help determine if it is electrical failure or a mechanical one.
BajaMama67
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaMama67 »

I would say it happened over a five or six week period. At first, I had trouble raising & lowering the seat (hubby would borrow and drop seat down and back). I thought, no biggie - next few times I would raise the seat before getting in the car. But then the back & forth motion stopped. Once in awhile, I would be at a stop sign or light and think, maybe I could move the seat forward and it would give a centimeter or two, then stop. It's been a few weeks now since it's been locked up. Do you think it's electrical? Hubby thinks there's a short somewhere. I hope this makes sense!! Thank you so much for responding.
Sabber
Scoobytruck Master

Post by Sabber »

no worries, we Baja people got to stick together right?
Seems like a full on short would work completely and then not at all intermittently. I would think its just more of the motors going out to me, especially if you and your husband both use the Baja, those motors probably get quite a work out. May be something you have to bite the bullet on and just ask a professional to look at. probably a $100 to get it diagnosed, but you could probably fix it yourselves if you got the parts. I believe there is some material in the library section with a break-down of the seat and its components that might help you out in that case.
BajaMama67
Scoobytruck Lurker

Post by BajaMama67 »

Great news!

Took your advice and sought professional help. Couldn't get any easier than what the mechanic did. A huge DUH on our part! He unplugged everything under seat and plugged them in again. Voila! If this can save someone 40 bucks, I hope it helps!

Thanks for your help guys & gals that responded to my post.

Signed,
A very happy BajaMama!!